Full Version: ControlTips not appearing
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
argeedblu
I am just beginning to design forms for my latest project. For some reason, control tips are not appearing when I move my mouse over controls that have control tip text.
Any idea why this may be?
Glenn
vtd
Command Buttons?
think there was some bug in A2000 that causes this behaviour.
IIRC, select the Control(s) that don't display the Control Tip Text and use the Menu Format / Bring to Front ... Save the Form and hopefully, the Control Tip Text will appear ...
argeedblu
Thanks for the suggestion Van. The control in question is actually a text box but I added a command button to the form to test the control tip apperance for command buttons as well. Even after bringing the command button (or text box) to front, the controltip still does not appear when I rest the mouse on the control.
did some reading on MSDN and it seems that the problem may also exist in Access 2003 as well. As one of the messages I found there suggested, I tried a cold boot, but still did not get the desired result.
Incidentally, built in control tips (for toolbar icons, for example) do work correctly.
My os is Win XP Pro SP2 with all security fixes up to date (just in case that might make a difference). I am wondering if it is possible that popup control may be getting in the way.
Glenn
vtd
Found a thread that has A2000 with the same problem and Help / Detect and Repair seemed to fix the problem if Bring to Front doesn't work.
See tinyURL link
argeedblu
Thanks, Van.
did a detect and repair on my Access installation but still no screentips on the control in question.
Glenn
vtd
Sorry, Glenn.
I am not sure what you can try next as I only had this problem once and Bring To Front fixed it for me.
Perhaps, you can post the database and I am sure a few people will try it on their A2000 installation and report back to you. Unfortunately, one of my PC which had the A2000 software died so I can try on A2002 software but not A2000 software.
Cheers
argeedblu
Thanks Van,
hat's a good suggesition. I think I will try it on my laptop first and see what happens there.
Glenn
datAdrenaline
Glenn,
Maybe you can "Clean" you form with the use of the SaveAsText / LoadFromText undocumented features of VBA ...
THere is a procedure that I have used on my Access objects IF they do not seem to be acting correctly.
argeedblu
Nice bit of code. Thanks.
efore running it, I backed up the db to my laptop. When I opened it there, the form in question properly displayed at least one of its controls' screentips.
However, even after cleaning, screentip still do not appear on this particular form. So far, it is the only form I have built so I am not sure what will be the case with other forms.
Incidentally, I have added an additional statement to your code just before the exit sub to indicate that the procedure has finished. (I was a bit sleepy when I ran it and I thought it was hanging on macros because the last message displayed was "Macros...."
Thanks again.
Glenn
datAdrenaline
Yes ... the lingering "Macros ... " message got me to when I first created the code ... but I never changed it!! .. Sorry! ... I am the only one who runs the code, and I usually run it from the Immediate window, so I just watch the list as it scrolls through the Immediate window....
Sorry it did not "fix" your issue.
niesz
Is this behavior unique to this Form? this DB? this Computer?
Can you post the Form? or small DB?
argeedblu
At this point, Walter, I would have to say that it is unique to this computer. I am attaching a small demo db with a form that is behaving as I have described - no control tip appearing when the mouse hovers over the controls (text box and command button.) Control tips do appear for toolbar icons, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. When I copied the offending db to another computer, the control tips displayed as expected.
Glenn
niesz
I'm using WinXP Pro and ACC2000. Both Tips show up for me. Possibly a Windows issue?? I'd try MSKB for some answers.
argeedblu
Thanks, Walter. That is the same configuration I am using (Win XP Pro SP2) on both machines. I will look again on MSKB.
Glenn
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.