Full Version: Control Tip Text Value
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
rhodri
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to assign a field value to a control tip text property?
That I am trying to achieve is something like the following:
ControlTipText value on a form properties = forms!my_form!my_field
can anybody help?
freakazeud
Hi,
you CAN do so by using VBA (visual basic for applications) code!
Have a look at this sample!
You should get the idea behind it.
HTH
Good luck
rhodri
Thanks for your quick reply....
I have tried to implement a solution using VBA, but one problem I have is that I am using a continuous form, and the control tip text for each record must be exclusive to that record. i.e. I need some event such as 'on format' for the detail section that will enable me to call the procedure* for each record.
*a procedure that does: Me!my_field.ControlTipText = my value for this record
does this make any sense?
any help would be greatly appreciated
freakazeud
Hi,
Odon't think this will work. Changing one property in a continues form will change ALL continouse control's properties. Additionally a form does not have a format event!
HTH
Good luck
rhodri
Yep! that is my problem!
Thanks for your response
freakazeud
You're welcome.
Glad I could assist!
Good luck on future projects!
doctor9
The problem with continuous forms is that you can have five records displayed, with the 2nd record actually selected. Then, you can hover your cursor over the 5th record on the form, but Access doesn't really have a way of tracking that.
Here's an idea... Use a textbox that stores your unique-to-each-record value. Color the background yellow, with black text, like a control tip, and place it over the form's controls. Then, set the visible attribute to No.
The trigger to make the textbox visible could be a very small command button, or maybe you could tinker with the MouseOver event using the Timer to hide the control after a few seconds.
Dennis
rhodri
thank you....that could well work.
niesz
>
I think you mean 'MouseMove'.
datAdrenaline
What I have done in a situation that seems similar is to make the field/control that I what "extra information" (aka: Control Tip) into a combo box control with a Row Source Type of "Value List", then in the forms OnCurrent event, I set the Row Source property of the combo box to the value of the field that contains extra information I want the user to see ... To do this I also set the 'Locked' property of the combo box to Yes so the user can not change the value of the combo when they drop the combo down to see the additional information.
HTH ...
doctor9
Yeah. I'm trying to cut back on caffeine, and it's showing. frown.gif
Dennis
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.