Full Version: Installation of an ActiveX control
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
rdemyan
I'm looking at the TreeView on Steroids ActiveX control. It's a .ocx file.
This is probably a stupid question, but the problem that I have is that my client doesn't allow installation of executables on user's machines. I don't really understand ActiveX controls, but if I were to use the Treeview on Steroids ActiveX control, is this only required when designing or does the user have to have this ActiveX control on their machines as well?
If so, does the ActiveX control on user machines have to be registered or is it just on the design machine? Any way I can try to get around their restriction with the ActiveX control?
Thanks.
RuralGuy
Others may chime in but if you have your heart set on the Treeview on Steroids ActiveX control you are between a rock and a hard place. The answer to each of your questions will eliminate it's use in your case. Sorry.
freakazeud
Hi,
the active x control HAS TO be installed on each users machine!
If it requires registration than that would be the case as well.
There is no LEGAL way of getting around that!
HTH
Good luck
rdemyan
Rural Guy:
don't really have my heart set on that control. I'm looking for something that has more features than the treeview control that comes with Access. Any suggestions that meet the criteria of my post?
Thanks.
RuralGuy
Not that meet the criteria of your client I'm afraid.
rdemyan
OK. So is there a way to setup a datasheet similar to a treeview?
Thanks.
RuralGuy
What feature of the Treeview on Steroids ActiveX control did you need that was not available in the TreeView that comes with Access?
rdemyan
I want to be able to include information in the node. For example:
roject ID, Project Name, Project Status, Project Cost, Project Savings
It would be nice if there were cells available on each node line that this information could reside in. As far as I know the current treeview uses text. With cells, the information would line up so that users can quickly scan a column to compare numbers.
RuralGuy
I'm afraid I've never used a TreeView of any kind so I'm not much help in this area. There are certainly a bunch of very talented Access and VBA programmers and one of them might have created something but I don't know where it is located. Good luck on your search and the project. Someone else might find this post and offer additional suggestions. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.