Full Version: user can't open main form, all other users can
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
Blenvid2
Hi, and thanks for reading my question,
I've got a database, which has gone over well at work and has now become a staple of my organization. All of my users, minus one, have been able to open the database and the initial form without any issues. This one user is the topic of this post.
I thought this could be a memory issue. The user only has 256 MBs of RAM on their laptop. Another noted user, my boss, only has 256 MBs of RAM on one of his computers. It opens the form fine. So, I marked this off as a possible explanation for the problem.
I've had the user make sure they had the most current version of Access 2003. They went to Office Update, and updated their install. This didn't work.
I've had the user repair the installation of Access, via the handy "Detect and Repair" feature. This didn't work.
Lastly, I had the user uninstall then completely reinstall Office. With all the updates and everything installed and no installation problems, it still doesn't work.
I have the database set so that when it is launched, it automatically opens my main form. (the one form the user can't open) This user launches the database and you can see it processing on their computer with the hourglass and the Access windows coming up, etc. Then, it just sits there. It doesn't go any farther. The only thing you can see is a blank Access window.
I am then able to go to and Unhide the database, and then you can see all the forms, queries, and tables as you should be able to see. I can open all the forms in the form window on this user's computer, minus this one main form.
I'm completely at a loss as no one else is having the same problem. (about 12 other users)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Blenvid
dashiellx2000
Have you tried reinstalling the database itself?
SerranoG
Does this user's Microsoft Access have the correct libraries loaded on his/her version. Open the dB for a user where it does work. Open any VBA code and click on TOOLS > REFERENCES. Open the dB while holding the shift key down on the user where does NOT work. Go to any VBA code on that computer and click TOOLS > REFERENCES. Are all the libraries listed on the first one present on the second? Do references on the second computer say "Missing" next to them?
Blenvid2
Hi William and Greg,
illiam, the database is located on a shared network drive. My boss did not want me to split it. (for a long winded reason) The user's are all opening the same database file, at different times of course because it locks the database while another user is using it.
Greg, that's something I haven't checked; I wasn't aware I could do that. dazed.gif
I'll do that and then repost with my results.
Thanks!
-Blenvid
Blenvid2
Ok, here's the results Greg.
From both my machine where the form works, and the user's machine in which the form doesn't work, the VBA Available References are identical. Here they are:
Visual Basic For Applications
Microsoft Access 11.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library
Microsoft Calendar Control 11.0
What do you think?
confused.gif
-Blenvid
fkegley
You might want to try if you can importing a working copy of the form into the database where the form is not working. It could just be a corrupt form on the malfing machine.
You really do need to split the database, otherwise you are going to have no end of problems with corrupt data, corrupt database objects, excess network traffic, etc. It is not worth getting fired over, however, so if the boss is really adamant against it, you'll just have to live with it and do the best you can. Just call it job security.
I had this situation when I arrived at my current position. One group of users had a shortcut on their desktops to the SAME front end database. They would all arrive at about the same time, and all hit the shortcut about the same time. It took AGES to get data to their desktops, the network server had to first send across the entire front end database, then it could send across the data.
That was one of the first things that I fixed, of course, was splitting the database and giving each user his/her own copy of the front end.
Blenvid2
Hi Frank,
don't quite understand what you mean by importing a working copy of the form into the database where the form is not working. (?) The database is in a central location so everyone accesses only a single database file. The form works on everyone's computer but the users.
Unless the form is corrupt and yet works on every machine but this user's, this may not apply.
-Blenvid
fkegley
Oh, yeah, I forgot, it's not a split database. Sorry about that!
That about that user's network connection, is it up to snuff? Or his installation of Access? Do they each have their own copy of Access at least?
niesz
Blenvid,
Just a shot in the dark... When the DB opens on the bad machine to a blank screen, are there any scroll bars that are visible??
Sometimes when you share DBs the initial positioning gets out of whack and you have to slide way down and to the right to see the initial form.
niesz
Sorry, meant to reply directly to Blenvid.
Blenvid2
Hi Frank and Niesz,
o problems Frank. Thanks for looking into this. frown.gif
The user's connection is good. She's been getting email, browsing the internet, and is a fellow administrator who must login to many servers each day. Her installation of Access is brand new now, with it brought fully up to date with updates. She installed Office from a licensed disk here at work.
Niesz, that's a good question. I'll have to get back to you on that. Stella, my unfortunate user grin.gif, doesn't come in until around 10am EST.
My co-worker just suggested that I have Stella log into my computer or another computer here and see if she can access the database from someone else's computer. That's a good point. That should rule out that there is any other issue which could be occuring other than a computer specific error, such as her OS installation containing corrupt files or incorrect entries, etc.
I'll repost with my results.
Just a thought, does Access require any specific screen resolutions, or color depths, or refresh rates? Maybe Stella has her computer set on something crazy which is causing the problem......
-Blenvid
niesz
>
No. But having differing resolutions may be what leads to not seeing an object on the screen for a user who has lower resolution.
don't think any of this would be an issue if the DB was split and each user had their own FE. With 12 users there is no valid reason your boss could supply to make this not the right thing to do. Is he prepared to take the heat when the DB corrupts? (And it will corrupt, the question is when.)
Blenvid2
Thank Niesz. I'll defenitely check and see what resolution the user is running at.
I'm pushing for the DB split. I feel as strongly about splitting it as you fellas do. I've made my boss fully aware of the situation. I'm sure you fellas understand, I can only do what has been approved by my big wigs.
-Blenvid
Blenvid2
Hey all,
still haven't figured out what's going on with that one user, Stella. Here's an update:
1. I set the resolution of Stella's screen to what it is on my machine, where the database was created and where it works great. The resolution was changed from 1280x1024 to 1024x768. After the change, the user was still unable to open the database on her computer.
2. I had Stella log into another user's computer. Here, she could open the database without issue. It has become apparent because of this that there's an issue on Stella's computer which is preventing the database from opening properly.
I've also checked Stella's Application and System logs to see if they're reporting any errors. None that are reporting are relevant (seemingly relevant) to the database.
-Blenvid
niesz
Blenvid,
I'm out of town so my responses are sporatic. Have you checked for scrollbars on her screen as mentioned in my previous post?
Blenvid2
Hi Neisz,
Yes, thanks for reminding me. I have disabled the scrollbars on the main form. (the form that is not opening on Stella's computer) In the form's properties, Scrollbars are set to "Neither."
I do have a couple subforms on the main form which have scrollbars. These are coming up as they should when the form is opened on every system; every system but Stella's that is.
Thanks.
-Blenvid
fkegley
Blenvid, what niesz is getting at is that sometimes the main database window can be restored down and then dragged off the screen. If that occurs there will be scroll bars on the right side of the database window itself. If you see those, then you should be able to scroll the database window down and find the form.
pcpd425
It sounds as if you have user level security enabled since Stella has to log in...Is it possible that her permission for this particular form is not set correctly?
Blenvid2
For some reason, UtterAcess didn't take my last post. (?)
understand what you're saying Frank, thanks.
Stella had just logged into a different computer. It wasn't that she was logging into the database. The database permissions have been left untouched, so they're default, allowing anyone to open and run the database.
I was able to convince my boss finally to split the database. After repairing and compacting the last working copy of the database, I went to split it and got these 2 messages,
1. "The database engine could not lock table 'tbl_InventoryMASTER' because it is already in use by another person or process."
2. "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument."
I logged off so that any OS connectors to the database were severed. (since I had previously run it) I logged back in again and tried to split the database again. I still received the above 2 messages.
Might this be why Stella is having a problem? What should I do at this point? (I'm gonna start to search for the error, "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument." I've never seen that before)
-Blenvid
Blenvid2
Never mind on the 2 errors. I forgot that when I opened the database, it automatically opened my main form. (doh!!)
closed the main form, split the database, and now it's fine.
Back to the Stella issue.....
-Blenvid
fkegley
I have seen this when the network drive mapping somehow became, to use the technical term, "messed up". Have you tried relinking the involved tables, and/or remapping the network drive?
Blenvid2
Hi Frank,
hadn't thought of relinking the tables. Do you still think this is necessary even though everyone else isn't having a problem?
The drives are mapped to our users via a login script. Stella is mapped to the drive the database resides on this way. Should I try and remap it Frank?
-Blenvid
fkegley
I would certainly try relinking the tables. Funny things can sometimes happen when a network is involved. The same goes for mapped drives. Just last week, one of my users could log on to the network, but her password had expired so she couldn't connect to the network drive where her database is located. I still don't know why it would let her log on but not connect to the network drive. I am not much of a network guru, but that sounds like some kind of "bug" to me.
Blenvid2
Hi again Frank,
Thanks, I'll try that and then repost with my results. frown.gif
FYI, probably what was happening with your user was a network connectivity issue. If she was unable to reach a DC for authentication, it will just use her cached credentials (which reside on her local computer of course) and boot up as if everything was hunky dory. As soon as she tries to access network resources however, like a network drive, it would give an error.
fkegley
Yes, that must be it. Thanks for clarifying. A little more knowledge makes me a little more dangerous!
Blenvid2
I had to look up the command; it's been a while since I've used it. frown.gif
Have the user type this in a command prompt:
ipconfig /flushdns
That will clear her cached credentials and force her to authenticate on the the network. frown.gif
-Blenvid
Blenvid2
Sure Frank. I'm glad I could help YOU out for a change. o!
fkegley
I will try to remember that for the next time it comes up. I do not trust her to do it correctly. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.