Full Version: Form Setup
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
williams9969
Hello all-
I have some questions please on setting up my forms.
I have 7 different subforms.
Each subform is similar in a way that it has the persons personal info on it...then the user enters data particular to the subform/area.
Does anyone have any ideas on this or at least some insight?
Any help would be great
VR
DWilliams
DougY
Hi Daniel,
You mention 7 subforms... do you have a parent form that goes with them?
williams9969
Doug-
reetings! I have an unbound form that is used as a base(is called frmHome)...then the record source is changed via the listbox...
Of course you know that you cannot link to an unbound form.
I am digging here...and your help is appreciated
VR
DW
DougY
Check out this post...It deals with opening a subform based on the selection from a combo box (list box's cousin...).
You can pass the record source in a similar manner to the property of the subform. check my attachment (it will open a selected subform) and experiment with is a bit... it should put you on the right track.
HTH
williams9969
Doug-
ttachment?
Also- I read the post..good info..I am working that part right now.
Thanks vm and am looking forward to your attachment frown.gif
VR
DW
williams9969
Also-
I am good on opening up subforms...I got that down pat now.
My question was in relevance to setting up the subforms.
When I change the record source..thus changing the subform..what of the Parent/Child Link.
BLUF(Bottom Line Up Front..military jargan):
Each of the 7 subforms are related to a specific area in my office. For the user to input data, he searches via a combo box for the last name of a person. Then the persons personal info comes to screen, user does data entry...then off he goes.
Now..since there is no apparent chils/parent link....here is how I was approaching it
Each subform is filtered by incomplete records only...once an action is complete...they cannot see it on the UI.
Obound each subform to a seperate query built on hte form...handy dandy...using the tblMain, and tblAction ...
Is that safe or doomed to self-destruct.
Is kind of hard to put into words..so am doing my best
Am here for questions and your help is appreciated..as always
Thanks Doug and UA
VR
DWilliams
DougY
The attachment is in the linked thread...
If I understand you correctly:
You have 1 main form, with a subform object
Using a combo box, you select a person (last name)
You then set the subform object's Source Object property to a specific subform to enter data for that person
How about passing the personID (the PK) as the filter for the subform?
williams9969
Oh...sorry about the attachment ignorence...lol
My mainform has a a subform object...yes
the user chooses from a listbox which subform he wants to open
once open the user selects which individual he would like to make data entry and changes to
vr
DW
DougY
No worries... I wasn't clear enough in my reply...
assing the value of the personID (PK) from the combo box as the filter for the subform should do it...
williams9969
Maybe silly of mean..but ...huh ? crazy.gif
R
DW
Jack Cowley
I love to step on Doug's toes so here is the answer to your question... Set the MasterLink of the subform to the name of your combo box. Making a selection from the combo box will show the related record(s) in the subform.
owdy Doug!
Jack
williams9969
I set it to the name of the listbox...even though it wasn't a choice they gave me...then i left the child link blank...is that correct?
R
DWilliams
Jack Cowley
You type in the name of the list box for the MasterLink and then type in the related field name in the subform for the ChildLink.
ssume CustomerID Primary Key and Foreign Key and is the link between tables (form/subform). The combo box has the CustomerID so the name of the combo box is the MasterLink. CustomerID is what you type in the ChildLink.
hth,
Jack
williams9969
Got it ..thanks much for your help Jack and Doug
R
DW
Jack Cowley
DW -
areful about thanking Doug as we don't want it going to his head! Glad we could help and Doug did way more than I did...for a change!!! Sorry Doug...
Jack
DougY
You know... you step away for a moment to open a bottle of wine, and look what happens... frown.gif
Thanks for jumping in Jack...I like your solution, it is simpler than mine and as effective (and don't let that go to your head...)... o!
Jack Cowley
LMAO Doug! Never fear, not much goes to my head anymore... I am happy to get blood up there... Of course my solution was better! Look at all the experience I have had with mistakes...
ack
DougY
ahh...experience ... allows you to recognize the mistakes you are about to repeat... frown.gif
I am still amassing my mistakes so that I can claim I have experience... grin.gif
Jack Cowley
LOL! I have amassed enough mistakes for both of us so as soon as I get some time I will send you some. No sense in both of us repeating the same mistakes....
ack
DougY
You are a good man [Charlie Brown]...
shall stop making mistakes immediately and await the ones from you...
Jack Cowley
I will have to hire an 18 wheeler to get my extra mistakes up to you. This is going to be an expensive proposition so be patient as I try to sell some blood to help cover the costs...
DougY
Before selling it, make sure to drink from the expensive bottle(s) of wine... it will make your blood worth more... grin.gif
lso, make sure you hire a seasoned driver... Seattle streets can be tricky for an 18 wheelers...
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.