Full Version: Lagging Forms and db
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
williams9969
greetings-
Have a question please
my database is almost 6k mg...and it is laggin like it is 2 gig.
Odon't know why it is doing this...it works fine, but lagging.
I think a problem I might have is I change the source object of a subform on my main form if the user chooses to do so..is a menu that I have.
That is all I can think of..annyone have any ideas?
VR
DWilliams
JayNoelOlimpo
Hi;
Is the database SPLIT?
Do you a regular Compact and Repair?
Is there any memo or OLE Object in your fields?
HTH.
williams9969
Jay
reetings !
Ohaven't spli it yet because I have acouple of more things to do....
I have NO ole objects or memo fields...
SHould it speed up when I split?
VR
DW
JayNoelOlimpo
Yes, splitting up would speed up you app.
And do a regular compact and repair.
R. Hicks
Curious ... how exactly does splitting an apllication .. speed it up ????
DH
JayNoelOlimpo
IMO, If the tables are separated in another database the size of the database would be decreased thus the processing or developing the database is. Then, I could create multiple versions of Front-Ends (if by department front-ends).
R. Hicks
I have never seen any speed increase by splitting the database ...

RDH
williams9969
Rick / Jay-
It doesn't lag constanttly...just sometimes "sticks" momentarily when I change source objects.
In your opinion...is there anything I can do?
VR
DWilliams
JayNoelOlimpo
Must be my eyes wary.gif ...
nyway I do split my database prior to the development of the whole app, in my practice.
Establish first the normalized tables on one side of the database and do the processing in the other.
R. Hicks
I always split my databases .. but not to improve the speed .. if anything splitting it slows the application.
But the advantages outweigh the disadavantages .. in my opinion.

See the link below and pay attention to the link named "Performance in Microsoft Access is worse after splitting - My personal experience" ...

Splitting your Microsoft Access MDB into a front end and back end

RDH
williams9969
ALCON-
Ok, thank you gentlemen..I thought you had to wait until the entire db was complete to split it...hmmm
Well..thanks for hte link Rick (good reading)
VR
DWilliams
R. Hicks
You can split the database at any point in the developemental stage you desire ...
Ousually don't split the app until I am ready to perform online testing and debugging .. but definately before the application is placed "live".

RDH
williams9969
Rick-
spli it..just for kicks...and it is slow as ever...I really do not understand, as my db is relatively small.
Any other advice?
VR
DWilliams
JayNoelOlimpo
Have read it in the past.
lso read this one ...
Microsoft Access Performance FAQ ...
R. Hicks
Is that link for my benefit ???
If so .. I haven't found any documentation that states that splitting a database will increase the speed ...
Of course it's a very lengthy article and I may have overlooked it ...

RDH
JayNoelOlimpo
hmmm ...
ope, that was addressed to DWilliams. and besides what more could a master learn. grin.gif I always admire you're advices and have benifited a lot from it. Thanks Sir Hicks.
R. Hicks
Oh .. believe me .. there is a lot that I haven't a clue about within Access ...
The link you provided contains a lot of information that can increase the performance, speed, and efficiency of a database ...
It could very well help the OP with his current problem ...

RDH
williams9969
Another quick question in referene to what may be causing the problem...
I use a "mouseover" effect on 15 labels on my form...hilites on mouse over
do you think this is a problem as well (this is the first time I used the function)
VR
DWilliams
R. Hicks
Possibly ...
Why don't you just rem out all the code to temporarily disable this feature ... and see what effect it has on the application ...
DH
JayNoelOlimpo
Same here I have a lot to learn everyday.
But compared to your experience believe me I haven't yet have a dipped in it. grin.gif
Williams:
What would be the codes behind the mouse over on labels?
williams9969
Ok...well...
I was mousing over and changing the forecolor and back color....I changed to just changind the font to bold on mouse over and is working better
Odunno why..but my db did not like that ...lol
All is well now
I appreciate the help from both of you
VR
DWilliams
R. Hicks
Glad you found your problem .. wink.gif
DH
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.