Full Version: Entering New Customers through Forms
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
toucan
Hello to all,
I have created a Form so I can enter new customers into the db.
When I open the Form it always shows the information for the 1st customer in the db.
When I enter information for a new customer it rewrites the info for the 1st customer. The way I can enter is to select "New Record" button at the bottom of the Form window.
Now to my question.
Can I format the Form so when I open it, the Form will be blank and will enter a new record.
I want to avoid deleting the 1st customers info by mistake.
Thanks
Gary
BigCountry
On the Forms property page, set the "Data Entry" property to YES.
This will prevent existing records from showing.
toucan
BigCountry,
orked like a charm.
uarulez2.gif
Thanks
Gary
BigCountry
Glad I could finally find a post that I could help out on after all of the time i spend asking for help. frown.gif
toucan
BigCountry,
How would you like another chance @ helping out? notworthy.gif
Do you know how to sort the information listed in a Combo Box on a Form?
I have the table which has the data sorted A to Z, but when you click on the combo box on the form the data is listed in the order which it was originally entered in the table.
Thanks,
Gary
BigCountry
Here is the easiest way that I know of.
On the properties page of the combobox, go to the Data Tab
Then press on the "..." button on the Row Source line.
This will bring up the SQL Statement Query Builder where you can set your sort order. Just set the sort to ascending (or descending) for the column you wish and you should be set.
Jack Cowley
I am going to jump in here and hope I don't land on BigCountry's toes... Create a query based on the table in question. Add the fields to the query grid that you want to see in the combo box. Sort Ascending in the field of your choice. Use the query as the Row Source for your combo box.
I am sure BigCountry post a response with the same suggestion now that I have jumped in... Sorry BigCountry...
Jack
Jack Cowley
BigCountry -
I have been lurking and I KNEW the minute I jumped in that you would respond... It never fails...
Jack
toucan
BINGO!!!!
He have a winner!!!
Thanks Guys!! o!
Gary
BigCountry
No problems.
I'm still enough of a beginner with this that I appreciate any additional comments in anything I may reply to.
Jack Cowley
You are welcome and we are glad we could help... Keep in mind that what you see when you look at a table in Access may not be the way that Access stores the data, as you found out. By 'sorting' a table you only affect the display of the information, not the actual storage of the data.
ack
toucan
Since we are on a roll here.

I have seen other database forms that do not have the "Title Bar" or "Scrollbars"
I would like just a form for data entry, nice clean rectangle.

Any suggestions?

Gary
Edited by: toucan on Thu Jan 19 16:18:47 EST 2006.
Jack Cowley
In the forms property sheet set the Scroll Bars property to Neither or if the form does not fill the window then the scroll bars will not show anyway. If by 'Title Bar' you mean the text at the top left of the form then you can't remove that, but you can change it by typing in what you want to see in the Caption property of the form. From Access Help, "If you don't set a caption for a form, button, or label, Microsoft Access will assign the object a unique name based on the object, such as "Form1"."
th,
Jack
toucan
I do not see a ScrollBar property in the Properties POP-UP?
Am I looking in the wrong place?
Gary
Jack Cowley
With the form in Design view open the Forms property sheet if it is not already open. Under the Format tab you will find the Scroll Bars property.
th,
Jack
toucan
Hi Jack,

Look at the attached .gif of the Property Sheet. I right clicked inside the detail portion of the form and selected properties. I do not see any scroll bar property.

Note: I can resize the form to hide the scroll bars as mentioned in an earlier post. Once I hide the scroll bars can the view be locked so it can not be stretched out to see the scroll bars again?

Thanks
Gary
Edited by: toucan on Fri Jan 20 9:19:19 EST 2006.
Jack Cowley
Gary -
You were looking at the property sheet for the Detail Section of the form, not the property sheet for the form itself and that is why you do not see the scroll bars property. Open the form in design view. In the upper left corner where the two rulers come togther there is a gray square. Click once in that gray square and a small black square will appear. That tells you that the property sheet you are looking at is for the form and it will also say Form at the top just as the property sheet you sent says Detail...
You can stretch the width and height of the background of the form to make it as large as you like to get rid of the scroll bars.
I must dash, but I will be back about Noon Pacific Time.
Jack
toucan
Jack,
pened the Form Property Sheet as instructed. I set the Scroll Bar property to Neither.
Worked Great!!!
Thanks
Gary
Jack Cowley
Gary -
You are very welcome!
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.