Full Version: Saving a Forms results in a new table
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
StephG123
Would anyone know if this is possible? I want the selected items from the form to be sent to a new table.
Any help on this would be appreciated
thanks in advance
dashiellx2000
Hello and Welcome to UA.
That you are asking is certainly possible, but a bit more information would be useful to getting the most efficient way to do it. What exactly are you attempting to do?
StephG123
ok I have a form called Form1

I have list boxes that the client can select lets give an example here like Year 1999

so lets say the person selected 2000 I would like that data to be sent in a new table in a filed called year

I have about 10 list boxes all on the same form and need the person to be able to select different info in the list boxes and those to be outputed in the same table as the year without over writing them selves every time

so every time they do a new search it would equal a new entry in the table and not overwrite the old data

Edited by Larry Larsen UA Mod (can't read yellow characters)
Edited by: Larry Larsen on Mon Apr 24 12:26:07 EDT 2006.
Larry Larsen
Hi
Why store the criteria of a search..?
Your title suggested you want the results stored rather than the search parameters.
thumbup.gif
StephG123
yeah what i want is the results selected from the form to get sent to a table?? is there a way to do this???
Larry Larsen
Hi
Sorry I'm also asking questions rather than suggesting a solution but some small pieces of information will help us both..
My first thoughts would be to simply have these controls bound to fields in this "new" table, when you say "new" do you mean a temporary storage table where by this data can be deleted and rebuilt when needed..?
FOr are you storing this for some other purpose and is so aren't you duplicating data you already have in the db.
thumbup.gif
StephG123
ok what happens is we need to rebuild our database. and this Form would make it the way we need it this would not be for a temporary fix this would be a permanant fix and yes i would like to be able to modify the data and insert new columns if need be. what I would like is that lets say the person selected this from the form
002 Volkswagon Golf
I would like that to populate the table
then if he was to do another search: lets say
2001 Acura RSX
then i would like it to show up in the table like so:
2001 Acura RSX
2002 Volkswagon Golf
Larry Larsen
Hi
Then I would use the bound option..
Use your new table as the record source for the form then create the listbox from other lookup tables and only store the record id and not the actual name as this is a form of duplicating your data..
Y />Then I would use the bound option..
Use your new table as the record source for the form then create the listbox from other lookup tables and only store the record id and not the actual name as this is a form of duplicating your data..
Your table structure could be similar to this:
tblWishList
WishListID - Autonumber (pk)
VechID - Number (fk)
Etc..
tblVechicle
VechID - Autonumber - (pk)
VechMake - Number (fk)
VechModel - Number (fk)
tblModel
MakeID - Autonumber (pk)
MakeName - Text = "Ford"
Etc..
tblModel
ModelId - Autonumber (pk)
ModelName -Text = "KA"
Etc..
This could be more detailed but just shows some very basic table structure.
thumbup.gif
StephG123
ok I have a table called newcatalog that i just set as the Record source for the Form...
how would i get it to save the data that was selected though?
I'm not sure i understand sad.gif
StephG123
ok I got the information in the table I wanted now the only thing is that it doesn't save the info... It overwrites it every time that I select new info.
Is there a way to save the data and not overwrite the old data to have lets say the first entry would be
Year | Make | Model
2003 | honda | Civic
Then this second entry would go below it and not replace the first one
2002 honda Civic
Is that possible?
StephG123
ok I got the information in the table I wanted now the only thing is that it doesn't save the info... It overwrites it every time that I select new info.
Is there a way to save the data and not overwrite the old data to have lets say the first entry would be
Year | Make | Model
2003 | honda | Civic
Then this second entry would go below it and not replace the first one
2002 honda Civic
Is that possible?
Larry Larsen
Hi
Can you post up your db so I can have a look..?
thumbup.gif
StephG123
I can only thing is my database is like 400 MB
Larry Larsen
Ok..
Can you grab an image of your table stucture and also your form and post them up..
thumbup.gif
StephG123
so any news on this issue??
StephG123
hey sorry to bother you again just wanted to check up and see if you've found anything?
Larry Larsen
Hi
sorry your attachment isn't workig..?
thumbup.gif
StephG123
ok I'll try it again
StephG123
ok it's only 20 mb so I'm hoping this works
StephG123
would there be another way to send it the smallest i was able to compact it in to was 5MB ?
cdinobi
Your problem could have something to do with the form properties.
Is your form set up to be a data entry form? is it a continous form? On the bottom of the form page, do you have a arrows that you can click to go from one page/record to another? It seems to me like you are continually making changes to the same record, you need to advance to a blank record, in order to enter new info.
Does this make sense?
StephG123
I made the table only have 2 models and that fixed the problem the only 2 apprefno you can type are 3272 and 3529
How like i said my problem is i select lets say 2002 Suzuki esteem all and then save check the table called newcatalogtable and the info is there
however if i go back into the form and select 2003 suzuki esteem all it over writes the first selection
There is my database
cdinobi
Try zipping the file.
StephG123
the file is zipped and is in my last post!
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.