Full Version: help context ID
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
mc1573
Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone out there that could help me setup the help context id property in each of my forms for a database I created. I put together a users manual and now I want it to be accessed in my database rather than the normal help file. How exactly do I do this? I am not very fluent in VB, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated. My users manual is in word 2003.
Thanks, Mary Covington
argeedblu
Mary,
The help context id is designed specifically to work with compiled html help files. I have been thinking a bit about your question and two possible approached come to mind.
First, if you want to have your users directed to relvant sections of your manual, you could create bookmarks in the word document for each help topic. Then, don't even bother with the help context id. Simply create a hyperlink to the appropriate bookmark in your word document.
However, I think that would be a lot of work and would yield a far less functional help system than the traditional help file that has an intuitive table of contents and index capablility. So my second suggestion is that you re-consider using a traditional helpfile. Your effort on the users manual won't be wasted if you create individual html files for each topic in the manual.
You might want to check out the freeware helpmaker help authoring system downloadable from this site . I have been using this tool a bit and have found it to be a simple way to create help files. It has an import capablity for externally created help topics (such as topics from your existing manual) and can be set up to automatically generate help context ids for each topic. All you have to do then, is enter the correct topic id in each form's properties.
Glenn
kapeller
Hi Mary!!!
found this via one of my searches some time ago. I cannot remember exaclty where I found it or who the developer was.
Cheers!!!!
lou
mc1573
Thank you Glen for your input on the help file. I did try to do a hyperlink to an html file, but it filled the whole screen and I knew that my users would want to be able to see the form along with a help screen to the right or left. I had looked and read through the instructions in access on the help id context, but it was confusing and didn't give enough for me to figure out how to do this. I will try to use that help authoriing system and see if I can download it on my pc at work, but I have to request to download and use it, our IS peoples are very particular (understandable). Will it work ok with access 97?
Thanks much again!!!
mc1573
Awesome, I like it that is a big help I will down load your suggestion as well. Do you know if this download will work in access 97? I have access 2003 at home and I can view just fine, but we only use access 97 at my office.
Have a great day!!
kapeller
Hi Mary
Just convert the db into a 97 version and it should work fine.
Cheers!!!!
Lou
argeedblu
Hi Mary,
The piece missing from the Access documention on the subject of help is a clear indication that you need a separate compiled HTML help system. The context ids are simply arbitrary numbers that tell the help system which topic to display. As far as I know the helpfiles the authoring system generates are compatible with Access 97. Just be sure to indicate the helpfile name and context id in the form's properties. The compiled help file (.chm) should be stored in the same folder as the frontend.
Glenn
mc1573
I do appreciate your help with this, now onto our IS department to see if they will allow me download this.
Thanks much, have a wonderful day thanks.gif
mc1573
Awesome, thanks!! thanks.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.