Full Version: ActiveX Search Assistant Control
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
PWPDCO
Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but we would like to build a form and within the form give the user the capability to "search" their system drives for files and programs. I found an ActiveX control in the tool box called Search Assistant Control, and when I place it on the form it looks like the standard windows search box. However, when I try to use it, it doesn't work. I doubt I have the reference tagged in my reference library but not sure what reference it would be handled by. I search MSDN but couldn't seem to find anything there either. Anyone got any ideas?
freakazeud
Hi,
Owouldn't use an active x control for this.
Use one of these: 01,
02!
You can also fill a listbox with directory information if you want (search UA for samples)!
HTH
Good luck
PWPDCO
Hmmm, will this actually open and display the standard Windows File Open/Save dialog box? If so, there is probably something similiar to open and display the standard Windows Search Box. This would save us from a lot of code considering the possible scenarios the custome rmay use.
freakazeud
So you want users to be able to search a specific directory for a file?
You could do this with code DIR or FileSystem Object without any dialog whatsoever.
HTH
Good luck
PWPDCO
I'm still not sure that's going to provide a GUI for the user is it? Something they would be familiar with like the search box?
freakazeud
You would be providing that interface with an access form and controls! If you want it to look exactly like the search dialog then format it that way.
HTH
Good luck
PWPDCO
I'm with you. Actually just thought there would be a quicker way. I'm surprised there's not a common object that does that without my having to build it. I can build it with what you gave me though. thanks.
freakazeud
You're welcome.
Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.