Jun 30 2006, 05:04 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone who has made this place such a valuable resource. I often can find my answer searching through posts...
not the case today.
I work for a library at a hospital. We also order other department's subscriptions.
Our vendor has provided all our invoices in an excel spreadsheet and i've used that to make a database (broken into tables etc). Working great, everyone is pleased.
My problem is the report page header. I'm sure there's an easy solution, but I can't seem to find it.
I would like the letterhead, window address and body of the letter (which provides instructions) to appear once for each patron. The list of subscriptions is the "detail" section of the report.
When the patron has one or two subscriptions, everything works fine. The problem is when the subscriptions spill onto a 2nd page, or greater.
All I need on page 2 is the continued list of subscriptions, not the letterhead or body content.
I tried the report pageheader property found in a thread in UA, but that didn't work. Or I didnt' grasp how to tweak that answer to make it more suitable for my needs.
Any ideas or assistance would be much appreciated.
Jun 30 2006, 05:19 PM
What about using a Report > Subreport design.
The main report contains the patron's info that goes in the page header. Put this info in a group header for that patron's record rather than a page header. Set it to start a new page for each new page header value (that would be the new patron record)
In the subreport, you include all of the data for the subscriptions. Make sure the report and subreport are correctly linked on their LinkChildField and LinkMasterField properties.
Hope this helps.
Jul 1 2006, 02:49 AM
I think you should try adding the first page header as a Report Header and the second page header as Page Header. Then open the report Properties and look for a property called PageHeader where you can choose not to show it on the same page as the Report Header. The first page will have the Report Header and all other pages will have the Page Header.
Hope this helps...
Jul 3 2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the tips, but neither is leading me to the desired results.
I've tried the custom group header before posting. It didn't work or I'm missing a bit of code to be inserted.
If I do the page break as suggested, I almost get where I want, but I don't have the alternate heading on the subsequent pages (which is important if these sheets get seperated or only partially returned).
The Report Header/Page Header option did not work.
I get the letter portion only for the first record. Every other record has the page header. Putting the letter text in the page header is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Was this a guess? Have you produced a similar report with this method?
Did I fail explaining my problem?
I need 500+ letters. Most letters are 1 page. But for some the details section spills onto a second page. How do I get an alternate header on those second pages?
I don't see how the custom group header approach without code. I don't see how the Report/Page solution will work at all.
I've just retried both solutions (from a fresh report) and I'm just not getting the results.
Don't know where things are going wrong.
Edited by: AllinaLibrary on Mon Jul 3 12:31:00 EDT 2006.
Jul 3 2006, 11:33 AM
didn't see the main report/sub report design.
was thinking of somethign else.
i will try that... to compound my troubles, i'm using someone else's data.
and this person put * ! @ and used all the other no-no characters in the only field i can use to link.
doesn't cause a problem on the query level, but seems to mess with main/sub reports and forms when setting up parent-child relationships.
Jul 5 2006, 01:35 PM
FOLLOW UP for future searchers for this topic:
1. The problem was caused by a misplaced page break. If you are trying to accomplish something like this, set the "Force New Page" of the first section header to "before".
I originally had my break set "after" the last section. This will generally lead to formatting errors.
I vaguely recalled this (not a full-time Access developer (lamentably), but couldn't find the right triggers to clarify that.
2. I never got the Report/Page solution mentioned above to work. If that's a viable solution for what I hoped to achieve, I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong. I even tried replacing the page breaks as mentioned above, but it didn't work.
Good luck all and thanks to those who responded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here