Full Version: Control to put data from one table in another
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
teachallday
I want to create a control on a form to use the data from one table to put information into a field of another table.
do not want a relationship between table and the field - - since the table data will change year to year (teachers) but I need the destination to stay what I put it. (teacher the child had for 2nd grade).
So, when a teacher leaves at the end of a year and I change the teachers in the tblTEACHERS - - I still want the information in the tblSTUDENT_Yearinfo to say who the 2nd grade teacher was.
tblTEACHERS!teach_LName (has the data I want)
tblSTUDENTS_Yearinfo!HOMEROOM (is the destination for the data)
Tim
Aquadevel
Teachallday,
Why are you moving data from one table to another?
Sounds like the database structure is not correct.
Can you post the database, <without any sensitive data in it> for us to take a look see?
Good luck with your project.
teachallday
The structure may not be correct - since I just recently decided to make it so I could track a child's test records over several years instead of just one year of information in the database. This is actually what has caused me to come to this question.
I have a table with a list of teachers in the school. Each year as teachers come and go I want to be able to change this list - it has room number, grade taught, ect.
I have my students in another table, and then a table of student info that chages from year to year (This one I split from the main student one when I decided to go to multi-year tracking). Before switching to a multi-year tracking, I had the HOMEROOM teacher with a relationship to Students. BUT, now that I want to track information over several years, I can no longer keep a relationship link between the two tables.
BECAUSE: Mrs. Jones will teach 2nd grade in 2006-07 and taught Timmy reading
- Mrs. Jones leaves at the end of the year and I go in and delete Mrs. Jones and put in her replacement Mrs. Nice.
If the relationship still exists between the two tables - - Timmy will now have in his records that Mrs. Nice taught him Reading - - but that is not true. I still need it to show that Timmy was taught reading in 2nd grade by Mrs. Jones. Even though Mrs. Jones is no longer in the Teachers Table.
I hope that clears it up as to what I want. For all the other fields in tblSTUDENTS-yearinfo, I have used value lists or checkboxes, but for the Homeroom teacher I would like an easier way to change the list of teachers each year.
Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.