Full Version: Following a Trail via query
UtterAccess Discussion Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Queries
cirAccess
I am not experienced with Access programming, and have unable to find a simple answer to my problem.

I have created a table in MS Access that contains records of business name changes over a long period of time. What I would like is to create a simple query that traces a business over the course of its history. I.e. I type in the original name, and get a report of the name post-reorganization event, and then the query continues by searching for subsequent transactions under the new name.

Name -> New Name
New Name -> Third Name

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to understand the query guidelines. I've finally got a query for the initial name to work using the following criteria - Like "*" & [Forms]![frmName]![Text0] & "*" Or "*" - this returns the results for the original name.

(My table has Five columns - Name, Year, State, Transaction Type, Ending Name). Is there a query I can use to continue the search using the new Ending Name?
Jack Cowley
Welcome to Utter Access Forums!!

tblCompany
CompanyID (PK and auto)
Address
Street
State
...other necessary fields...

tblCompanyNames
NameChangesID (PK and auto)
CompanyID (FK)
CompanyName
UpdateYear
TransactionType

Every time a company changes its name you add a new record. Now you have a history and no query required... Note that Name, Year and State are reserved words in Access and s space in object name is never a good idea..

hth,
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.