Full Version: Family form with family members subform
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
cpetermann
Hi1
You have been so helpful! I have found code I needed in the archives. I've received instant answers to questions1
What a wonderful forum!
I'm working on a project for church membership.
I have a table for Families
Family ID
Family Name
Address
City
State
Phone
and a table for All members as individuals:
Individual ID
Family ID
Family Name
Last Name
First Name, etc
oth tables have data already in place
My problem is creating a form for Families and a subform for Family Members that will not require me to re-enter Family member data.
Help!
I need a Form for Families and a subform for family members.
Alan_G
Hi
irst thing to do is to get rid of the spaces in your field names - eg rename Family Name to FamilyName, Last Name to LastName etc. Using spaces (or any special characters) in the naming of fields/objects is never a good idea and will bite you sooner rather than later..........
You don't need the Family Name field in the individual members table, just the FamilyID is all that's needed and will relate any family member back to the family name table. Create a form (frmFamilyName) bound to the Family name table with whatever fields you need, and another form (frmFamilyMember) bound to the individual family members table. Now add frmFamilyMember to frmFamilyName as a subform, using the FamilyID as Master/Child links (Access will probably do that bit for you) and you're done. Anytime you view a family name you'll have all related family members shown in your subform.
Hope that makes sense for you..............
Jack Cowley
Howdy Alan!!! I see you have been lurking here for a couple of hours so I thought I better stop by and say hello... Wanted to beat you to the punch..
trust all is well and that John Smith is close to hand....
Jack
Alan_G
Hi Jack
Good to see you back in the UA building sad.gif
All is very well here thanks (apart from receiving my tax bill for this year this morning!!!), and I'm just about to open a can of Tetley's extra smooth bitter. No John Smiths tonight, the supermarket had run out today when I went to replenish stocks.
Hope all is well with you and you finished your latest project........
Cheers
Alan
Jack Cowley
Alan -
You may be able to borrow my parking space soon as the project is far from over. The client has the latest version and already found an error that I knew was about to raise its ugly head... I have never worked on anything so complicated in my whole life... The problem is figuring out all the possible permutations of how data can be entered as it is very critical and you cannot miss a single possibility or the final output is wrong.... Frustrating...
I had no idea that Tetley made beer, but there is a lot that I don't know... And I cannot believe that a store would be out of John Smith... I hope you spoke to a manager...
Jack
Alan_G
Jack -
ounds like you have your hands full there, but I'm sure you'll beat it and deliver a solid app sad.gif
Tetley's is one of the biggest brewers in the UK and is near my hometown of Bradford (it's actually in Leeds), West Yorkshire. I think I was actually weaned on Tetley's bitter!!!
I would have spoken to a manager, but I think he's have probably told me that I was the reason they'd run out. Anyhoo, they have a delivery tomorrow so all systems will be back to normal........
Jack Cowley
Alan -
Since the manager knows you he should have known better than to place such a small order earlier. I am sure that you are part of the reason for John Smith's success even though you were weened on Tetley's... Maybe Tetley went into tea after you were weened and saw their sales plummet. Tea is always a good product to try to sell to a Brit... wink.gif
Good to be back and have these fun exchanges! Hope I can suss out the rest of the problems with the db so I can get on with life at UA....except the client has other projects in the offing...oh my....
Jack
Alan_G
Jack -
ep, Tetley's tea is my drink of choice every morning. I can't begin to function until I've had at least two cups. My wife wont even attempt to talk to me till after the first one, then it's just to say 'Here's your second' sad.gif
More projects in the offing - whoohoo!!. Just think of the pay days and restocking your legendary cellar sad.gif
cpetermann
DOH! You are so smart! Thanks! I feel like I should go have a V-8--but I don't like tomato juice tongue.gif
This worked great! Now maybe I can sleep without running options in my dreams!
Thanks again!
Jack Cowley
Mr. G -
etley's is one of my favorite teas as I am a tea drinker as well. Tea has more caffeine than coffee so when I found that out I switched!
I do not think the effort with the databases are worth the remuneration...but it does keep my off the streets and out of the pubs...but not out of the wineries where I replace dwindling stocks in my 'legendary' cellar... Tonight is a change of pace, as I am forgoing the wine for a very smooth blended Scotch... YUMMY!
Jack
Alan_G
cpetermann -
If I knew what a V-8 was I'd probably join you LOL. Glad you got it working and you can sleep soundly. Continued success with your project sad.gif
Jack -
Now we're seriously talking my language, a smooth blended Scotch.....Mmmmm yes please. The warm glow, the smell, the crystal clear vibrant colour, the aftertaste, the feel good factor, the morning after, the explanations to the wife why I fell asleep in the chair with an empty bottle next to me. So many happy, hazy memories wink.gif
Enjoy your Scotch - I'll jion you this end with a small dram or two of 10 year old Bushmills......Cheers sad.gif
Jack Cowley
Alan -
forgot you are a Bushmills fanatic... How could I forget THAT? Well, it isn't easy getting old.... Yes, Scotch is a lovely drink and I am loving every smooh, golden drop.. Big sigh.... Just realised the bottle is nearing the end.... Back to the bottle shop soon!!!
Jack
Jack Cowley
Alan -
YI - V-8 is a blend of the juice from 8 veggies like tomatoes, celery and other plant life. Not a bad drink actually... Now if we only had Marmite...
Jack
Alan_G
Jack -
How that I know what V-8 is, I may have to take a rain check on joining in in sampling it (although I'm sure it's very nice)- not 100% sure my olde aged system could stand the shock of the healthy option. Now a Marmite sarnie, well, that's a whole new subject sad.gif
Jack Cowley
Alan -
Just realized a friend is coming from the UK, next month, for a visit, and I should have her smuggle in a large jar of Marmite... YUMMY stuff and not readily available here... V-8 is good if you like tomato juice with a bit more flavour...
Jack
PS. "Sarnie"? 'Sandy' I understand but 'sarnie' is a new one on me...
Alan_G
Jack -
OK sarnie (as in sausage sarnie, bacon sarnie, egg sarnie etc) = US sandwhich sad.gif
Marmite on toast is also very nice....in fact all this talk of food = ImHungry. Look out fridge, here I come.........
Jack Cowley
Mr. G -

Osuspected sarnie = sandwich as sandy = sandwich in Australia... Am I insightful or what?
ep, Marmite on toast is to die for!!!
Jack
PS. I would never eat a UK sausage sarnie as who knows what went into that sausage...or any sausage for that matter... Bangers and mash are out for me!!!
Alan_G
Jack -
Is insightful as always and a wealth of information sad.gif
Totally understand re not eating sausages (UK or otherwise), but sadly, even though I know what goes into them, a sausage sarnie with Daddies brown sauce and bangers and mash with onion gravy are definitely on my gourmet list. Each to their own I guess. The only things I could never eat are oysters/octopus/squid/scallops (and I have tried!!). Other than that, I'm game for just about anything - particularly after a couple of pints of John Smiths/Tetleys or a snifter of Scotch sad.gif
Right now, it's a couple of rounds of tuna fish sarnies lashed with salt, pepper and vinegar
Jack Cowley
Alan -
ad a tuna sarnie 'lashed' with chopped dill pickles and mayonnaise earlier today! I really must try the vinegar especially if it is malt vinegar, which is hard to come by in this country... We do not have real 'fish and chips', which require malt vinegar, so no malt vinegar easily available at the local supermarket...
I would probably LOVE bangers and mash after a couple of pints.. The onion gravy is what would push me over the top... Any pubs close by you serving bangers and mash with onion gravy, as I may need to get a passport and book a flight as now I am starving...
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.