Full Version: EDIT FIELD VALUE FROM LISTBOX
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
lchurch
I have a listbox on a form, and an edit field. The edit field needs to show a column from the listbox table, based upon the record selected. How can I "tie" these two elements together.
Jack Cowley
If you want to 'edit' a field in a list box then base the form on the table the list box is based on. Add a list box, using the Wizard, and on the Wizards first screen select the 3 item, "Find a record..." Finish the Wizard. Now you can select an item in the Wizard and see all the associated fields, or just the one(s) you want. You can now edit the control and then requery the list box to see the change you made.
th,
Jack
theDBguy
Hi Jack!
I've never tried that technique on a ListBox, I've always used it on a ComboBox.
Oagree that the OP's intent is unclear. We need to know if the purpose of the TextBox is to edit its contents or just show the appropriate column from the selection, in which case, the Column property is all that's needed.
Cheers
Jack Cowley
Howdy TheDBGuy -
I have never tried the approach either, but it seems like it should work...to edit a field in the table the list box is based on... What do you think?
Jack
theDBguy
Hi Jack,
There did you get this?
>> ...to edit a field in the table the list box is based on... <<
The OP said this:
>> The edit field needs to show a column from the listbox table, based upon the record selected. <<
That's why I'm confused. If I take his statement at face value. I would have said: ... use the Column property to "show" the selected column.
Hopefully, the OP will set us straight.
Jack Cowley
TheDBGuy -
read the post to mean he has a field in the list box and he wants to change/edit it rather than just display it. We are going to have to wait for clarification as my response was my best guess at what was being asked... I'm as uncertain as you as to exactly what the member wants...
Jack
theDBguy
Roger that. Standing by to stand by...
hmm... that's a weird expression)
sad.gif
Jack Cowley
It is an old Navy expression... As Admiral Farragut and I were steaming into Mobile Bay he had everyone prepare to stand by so we were all standing by... Now you know the origins of the expression....
ack
theDBguy
Got it! Thanks, Jack. Now refresh my memory, did you win? sad.gif
Jack Cowley
We eked out a victory... The admiral became famous for shouting the words for a course of action that I had suggested and I am not even a footnote in history... All those years at Annapolis for nothing but some gold braid on a fading uniform... Sigh....
theDBguy
Jack - They may have left you out of history, but you are leaving a legacy here at UA!
saluting you)
notworthy.gif
Jack Cowley
LOL!!! 144 years of anonymity are finally coming to an end... I had to make my stand, as there is not that much time left!! Thank your for the salute and as a good Naval officer I return it... notworthy.gif
theDBguy
Good evening, Jack! I was just cleaning out my db of outstanding tasks and decided to abandon this thread. I guess we'll never know the original intent of the user. Cheers.
Jack Cowley
TheDBGuy -
Good morning!
It would appear that way. If the member does respond to one of my posts then I should be notified and hopefully I will be able to assist. If not, guess who will get a call?
Jack
theDBguy
The Ghostbusters? grin.gif
Jack Cowley
How did you know? Amazing....
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.