Full Version: Memo history help
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
SeanM
Hello again guys,
tm I'm finishing up with my database, however I'm having some issues with my History control. At first I had created a memo field in my table, and bound a control on my form to that field. I then created an unbound textbox with the control of:
=ColumnHistory("Sheet1","NewNote","[ID]=1")
I had tested the functionality of it right after I first made it, however I didn't bother to go from record to record... to make a long story short, the ID=1 string made each textbox on each record display the ColumnHistory for the first employee, as opposed to the column histories for each employee as you cycled through the records.
Is there an easier way to define my so-called WHERE clause that will allow me to basically select the "current" employee? Unfortunately my database is not quite normalized for a number of reasons, however I can usually get things to work well enough.
Should I make another table instead? Someone had suggested making a table with a NoteDate, NewNote and a FK linking back to the PK of my main table, however I'm not quite sure if I'm doing it right. I actually tried to do it, but after putting the fields in my form, my form started coming up completely blank... really odd. I've used relationships for other things and nothing like this has really happened. O_o
Anyways, if anyone has any easy way of doing this your suggestions would be most helpful. sad.gif I'm quite new at all of this (2 weeks now!) and although I learn pretty fast, I get stumped easily enough. tongue.gif
Thanks much!
cpetermann
SEan,
I'm not really sure what you are doing.

Are you talking about a WHERE clause in a query?
Am also concerned about: <

Would you copy your db, remove any sensitive data, convert it to 2003 or earlier,
Has many here aren't jumping into 2007 yet--
compact & repair, then zip and attach it, please?
"usually get things to work well enough after only 2 weeks"
is going to cause you more headaches down the road.

Please attach your db so that we can help Access work for you,
instead of you working for Access.
cynthia

Edited by: cpetermann on Fri Jul 25 19:58:32 EDT 2008.
SeanM
I've gotta head home for the moment, however I'll probably be back into it on Monday. To clarify, I did not mean an actual WHERE clause in a query, I was just referring to the 3rd string of my original ColumnHistory line "[ID]=1" which tells the textbox which specific record to look at. I was hoping to reference a dynamic control on my form that would allow my "History" box to change per user, as opposed to never changing from [ID]=1. Something along the lines of [EmployeeID]=[ControlName] etc. Just a thought.
This is literally the last part of my database that needs configuring... completely redoing the format isn't really an option, since I'll be doing any work from this point onward pro-bono.
The company I work(ed) for knows I know nothing about Access and yet asked me to figure it out anyways, so they're prepared to have a "not quite so perfect" database considering the time limit I was given. Obviously in the future I'd do it drastically different, however I didn't have time to read up on it for 2 weeks before starting, so I'm going to have to make do.
With my current database I've been able to create many different reports based off queries and specific user records, so that's what I mean by "making it work for me." It's not perfect, but it works in a way that allows us to do what we need to do efficiently enough.
I'll post a cleaned up version next week. If anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime for how one would "normally" go about doing this with a normalized database, your help would be appreciated.
AQM_UK
The trouble with not having a normalised base is that it will continue to bite you all the time and we often get asked here to help, but sometimes it is impossible to help.
I am not sure why you are having to do this though.
If the memo is linked to the ID (wherever you have stored the data), then you can create a subform, which you can make to look like a normal control and not a subform, then you create the parent/child relationship and they will synch automatically.
Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.