Full Version: cascading combo default values
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
hmiddity
Hello,
I have a cascading combo db which is working reasonably well.
When I select an existing record for a carrier / date I am able to add new records in which the carrier and date default to the selection.
However when I type in a new date in the combo box as part of the selection, I have to type in the carrier and date. I would like to be able to set these values to default to the combo box carrier and date.
Is anyone able to help?
Regards,
Hugh
hmiddity
Hello All,
Is what I am trying to do outside the function of access? If it is please let me know and I'll try a different approach.
Regards,
Hugh
hmiddity
Hello All, sorry to be a pain but I would really like to understand how I can get the date and acrrier to default to the selection values when entering new data. This last bit is stopping me from having a working process so any help will be appreciated.
Regards,
Hugh
mike60smart
Hi Hugh
THe purpose the the Cascadeing ComboBox is to allow you to select an item from 1 Combo and it Filters the Items presented in the Other ComboBox
Your Idea of then Typing a value in the 2nd ComboBox is NOT really the purpose of the Cascading operation
Hope this clarifies
Regards
Mike
hmiddity
Hello Mike, thanks for your reply, I was begining to think that I was Johnny no mates!
Oaccept what you say about typing a value not being the real purpose of ccs. However it does allow me to enter new data but it means, currently, that I have to type the carrier and date for each new record in the set.
Bearing in mind that except for having to enter the carrier / date on every record the process gives me everything that we want, how would you recommend that I progress?
Regards,
Hugh
mike60smart
Hi Hugh
After trying to make your Forms work it just occured to me to check your structure - silly me why didn't I do this in the first place
After all this time you have NOT normalised your table - You currently have 1 table in which you are recording all activities for your Process - This is a NO NO in Access
You ahould have at least 3 tables ie
tblCarriers
tblDateCarried
tblItemsCarried
I suggest you look again at your table and consider Normalising it
What you are trying to do is a work around
My 2 Bobs worth
Mike
hmiddity
Hello Mike,
Thanks for your reply. FYI I have been desigining and developing systems for 40+ years, so am usually inclined to normalise data. However I think that it is more important to solve a business problem than sticking to the latest methodology.
My criteria for the system is that I want a form where I can enter all the data without having to include dropdown boxes.
For example there are several types of package; std pallet, short pallet, long pallet, box, which should all be stored in the same file. What I want on the form is to define, in my terminology, an array of x elements so that the user automatically goes from one element to the next.
If you can explain how I can achieve the above I will be more than happy to normalise the table.
Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Hugh
mike60smart
Hi Hugh
OK all I was suggesting was that your method does not work and suggesting the recommended method
If it does not suit then so be it
Best of luck seeing as you have been developing this method for months that does not work
Regards
Mike
hmiddity
Hello Mike,
Sorry for the delay but I have been oof for the last few days. I guess that I have to come to the conclusion that access is not flexible enought to do what I want, so will have to find another solution. But thanks for taking a look.
Hugh
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.