Full Version: Changing properties of a text box in a multi record form
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
harua
In a multi-record form, lets say I have text boxes colA, colB, colC. When colA has a certain value, let's say "Bad", then I want to change the property of colC to 'locked'. I know how to do this, and of course, when I change the property, it changes it for every row displayed on the form. I am wondering if there is any way to change the property selectively for specific rows based on the condition of colA's value. I'm guessing it can't be done, but this is ideally what I would like to do.
pbaldy
With Format/Conditional Formatting you can disable the control, if that would work for you.
HiTechCoach
I think you are talking about a form in continuous mode.
If you use the on current event to enable (not lock) the control then it will look more pleasing. Then as you change records, it will enable or disable the control as needed. I like to use conditional formatting to change the background color to let the use know it has been disabled
bigdutch
I think disabling the control via conditional formatting will be the best method.
harua
If by conditional formatting, you mean changing the properties (enable/disable, lock/unlock, change colors) based on an If statement, that is what I am doing. After experimenting with it I believe it will work OK. I don't like to use enable/disable, mainly because the greyed effect of disable is fuzzy and hard to read. So, I lock and change the background color for the same effect, but not fuzzy. I you mean something different by conditional formatting, please explain. Thanks, Harry
harua
Paul,
Here is the same response I sent to HiTechCoach.
If by conditional formatting, you mean changing the properties (enable/disable, lock/unlock, change colors) based on an If statement, that is what I am doing. After experimenting with it I believe it will work OK. I don't like to use enable/disable, mainly because the greyed effect of disable is fuzzy and hard to read. So, I lock and change the background color for the same effect, but not fuzzy. I you mean something different by conditional formatting, please explain. Thanks, Harry
pbaldy
It is not what I meant. When I typed it as "Format/Conditional Formatting" I meant from the menu choose Format, then Conditional Formatting. That said, you can not lock, only disable, so if you don't like that look it won't work for you.
harua
Paul,
Thanks for clarifying "Format/Conditional Formatting". I have not used this, but will try it out.
Thanks, Harry
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.