Full Version: Keeping a Running tab
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
gwood1391
I want to keep a running tab of a certain field on my form. It is called calibration dat and I want it keep track of all previous dates that have been entered on a separate field. How would I go about doing this.
fkegley
You need a separate table to keep track of each calibration date. It will need at least a field to allow you to match the record to the item that was calibrated, and of course, the date of the calibration.
theDBguy
Hi,
Welcome to Utter Access!
Check out this MS KB Article.
Hope that helps...
gwood1391
Well here is what I am dealing with. Its about 70 items that all have the same the calibration dates and a handful that are different. If create this table then everytime a new calibration date comes up will i need to create a new table or how will it keep the tab running instead of deleting what I had previously.
gwood1391
The thing is I just want to keep track of each date on a the form that i have already created.
fkegley
Realize that forms do not store data. Tables store data. So if you want to store multiple calibration dates for each item, then the way to do it is to create a separate table into which all calibration dates are stored. As I posted earlier, each row in the calibration dates table should have at least ItemID and Calibration Date.
When you would develop a form with subform to allow editing of the entries. The main form would display the item data, the subform would display the calibration dates. The user could then change the dates if necessary, or add new ones.
theDBguy
Hi Frank,
guess I misunderstood the question. blush.gif
gwood1391
How do I create a subform?
fkegley
Open the Items form in design view.
lick the Subform Control Wizard button.
Click where you want the subform control to go. You just need to click the top-left corner of the area.
The Subform Wizard will start and step you through the process. The mainmost thing to get right at this stage is the Link Child Fields and Link Master Fields properties. These enable the subform control to set its contained form to the corresponding records in the "many" table.
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.