Full Version: Removing outliers
UtterAccess Discussion Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Queries
Kosby
I am looking for a way to remove outliers from my data. This process was previously done in an excel sheet by defining the minimum allowable value as 2 standard deviations below the average and the maximum allowable value as 2 standard deviations above the average. The values in the list had conditional formating that caused a value to turn red if it fell outside of the acceptable range. This value was deleted so that it would not be used in the standard deviation calculation and therefore change the acceptable range. The process would continue until no values were red. Any ideas how to do this automatically in with a list of values in a table (or query) in access?
Roger_Carlson
Can you give some example data? A list of values, indicate those that *should* be outliers, and what you want the output to look like?
Kosby
An example of the initial data is below. I want to remove any values that do not fall within two standard deviations of the average of the group.

st dev = 0.2286
average = 1.3146
min = 0.8574
max = 1.7717

So in the first iteration, 0.7527 is removed because it falls outside of the range, but that causes the standard deviation and average of the group to change. Below is the next iteration.

St dev = 0.0947
average = 1.3848
min = 1.1953
max = 1.5743

In the second iteration 1.5828 is above the max so it is removed. That leaves us with the data below which contains no outliers.

St dev = 0.0548
average = 1.3565
min = 1.2469
max = 1.4661
BananaRepublic
Since we need the process to be iterative, it's possible you need to use VBA with some Dynamic SQL.

An idea off the top of head would be something like this:

CODE
Set ars = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT StdDev([Col]) AS ColDev, Avg([Col]) AS ColAvg FROM aTable;")

CurrDev = rs.Fields("ColDev")
CurrAvg = rs.Fields("ColAvg")

Set irs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM aTable WHERE [Col] > " & CurrDev - CurrAvg & " AND [Col] < " & CurrDev + CurrAvg ";")
Do Until irs.EOF
    Set ars = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT StdDev([Col]) AS ColDev, Avg([Col]) AS ColAvg FROM aTable WHERE [Col] BETWEEN " & CurrDev - CurrAvg & " AND " & CurrDev + CurrAvg & ";")
    CurrDev = rs.Fields("ColDev")
    CurrAvg = rs.Fields("ColAvg")
    Set irs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM aTable WHERE [Col] > " & CurrDev - CurrAvg & " AND [Col] < " & CurrDev + CurrAvg ";")
Loop

Debug.Print "Final StdDev: " & CurrDev
Debug.Print "Final Avg: " & CurrAvg

(untested aircode)
Roger_Carlson
Well, I haven't been able to code it, and I can't get Banana's code to come up with the right answers.

But I can do it with a series of queries. Suppose Table1 is your original table.

Query1:
SELECT Field1
FROM Table1
WHERE Field1>(Select Avg([Field1])-StDev([field1])*2 AS [Min] from Table1) And Field1<(Select Avg([Field1])+StDev([field1])*2 AS [max] from Table1)

will produce your first round results

Query2:
SELECT Field1
FROM Query1
WHERE Field1>(Select Avg([Field1])-StDev([field1])*2 AS [Min] from Query1) And Field1<(Select Avg([Field1])+StDev([field1])*2 AS [max] from Query1);

produces your final result. If there were more outliers, you could create another query based on Query2 and so forth. You only have to run the last query in the sequence because all the others get run first.

This is less than optimum, but perhaps you can build from there.
projecttoday
You could put a flag in the table and flag the ones that are removed. Recalculate the standard deviation with unfllagged records and do the elimination again with unflagged records. Repeat till done.

Robert
sprior
I found this old thread while I was trying to do something very similar.
I used the outline from the comments below (thanks!) to come up with the following code that seems to work OK.
I have made no effort to make it a clean universal function, so I apologize for the overuse of table and field names (and some data conditions) that are unique to the data I'm using.
It might have been better to write this as a function that has a data set passed to it as a parameter, and it returns a dataset with outliers removed; but I did want to keep a record of what points were deleted.

I used Chauvenet's criterion to remove outliers (rather than just a fixed number of std deviations away from the mean). I added a 2 x multiplier in there to take into account that I'm looking at the furthest point from the mean each time, and that this could be to the left or the right of the mean - I think I've interpreted Chauvenet's criterion correctly, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

And, thanks to the author of the NormsDist function.

CODE
Function removeOutliers() As Boolean

Dim db As Database
Set db = CurrentDb()

Dim qtemp, q2temp, q3temp As QueryDef
Dim rtemp, r2temp, r3temp As Recordset

Dim sql As String

Dim p As Double

'empty the previous costs table
sql = "DELETE * FROM tblCOGSoutlier"
db.Execute (sql)

'put data into the table where qty>0, costs >0, inv date is after Jun 2011 (prior data suspect)
sql = "INSERT INTO tblCOGSoutlier ( PartNum, InvDate, CostEa, fromQty, FlaggedOutlier )"
sql = sql & " SELECT tblCOGSMkTbl.[Part Num], CDate([Inv Date]) AS InvDate, [total cost extended]/[qty shipped] AS CostEa,"
sql = sql & " tblCOGSMkTbl.[Qty Shipped], False AS Expr1 FROM tblCOGSMkTbl"
sql = sql & " WHERE (((CDate([Inv Date]))>=#Jul/1/2011#) AND (([total cost extended]/[qty shipped])>0) AND ((tblCOGSMkTbl.[Qty Shipped])>0));"
db.Execute (sql)

'inflate for multiples?
'not sure about this.... will make for clustered and non normal distribution, but high qtys are more important than low qtys....
'after some thought, strategy is remove outliers before considering quantities per data point

'for each part number
sql = "SELECT tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum FROM tblCOGSoutlier GROUP BY tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum;"
Set qtemp = db.CreateQueryDef("", sql)
Set rtemp = qtemp.OpenRecordset(DB_OPEN_SNAPSHOT)

While Not rtemp.EOF
    'get the mean and stddev for the costs not flagged as outliers
    sql = "SELECT tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum, StDev(tblCOGSoutlier.[CostEa]) AS StDevOfCostEa, "
    sql = sql & "Avg(tblCOGSoutlier.CostEa) AS AvgOfCostEa, Count(CostEa) AS CountOfCost FROM tblCOGSoutlier "
    sql = sql & "where (((tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum) Like """ & rtemp!PartNum & """) And "
    sql = sql & "((tblCOGSoutlier.FlaggedOutlier) = No)) GROUP BY tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum;"
    Set q2temp = db.CreateQueryDef("", sql)
    Set r2temp = q2temp.OpenRecordset(DB_OPEN_SNAPSHOT)

'get the cost record for this item where the point is furthest from the mean
    'select top 1 ordered by abs(cost-mean)
    sql = "SELECT TOP 1  tblCOGSoutlier.LineID, tblCOGSoutlier.FlaggedOutlier, tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum, "
    sql = sql & " tblCOGSoutlier.CostEa, Abs([costEa]-" & r2temp!AvgOfCostEa & ") AS Away"
    sql = sql & " FROM tblCOGSoutlier where (((tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum) Like """ & rtemp!PartNum & """) And "
    sql = sql & "((tblCOGSoutlier.FlaggedOutlier) = No)) ORDER BY Abs([costEa]-" & r2temp!AvgOfCostEa & ") DESC;"
    Set q3temp = db.CreateQueryDef("", sql)
    Set r3temp = q3temp.OpenRecordset(dbOpenDynaset, dbInconsistent, dbOptimistic)

'while the point is too far away....
    'MsgBox (r2temp!PartNum & Chr$(13) & "Away: " & r3temp!away & Chr$(13) & "Ave: " & r2temp!AvgOfCostEa & Chr$(13) & "SDev: " & r2temp!StDevOfCostEa)
    If Not (IsNull(r2temp!StDevOfCostEa)) Then
        If (r2temp!StDevOfCostEa > 0) Then
            'using Chauvenet's criterion.....
            p = 2 * (1 - SNorm2(r3temp!away / r2temp!StDevOfCostEa)) * r2temp!CountOfCOst
            'MsgBox (r2temp!PartNum & Chr$(13) & "Away: " & r3temp!away & Chr$(13) & "Ave: " & r2temp!AvgOfCostEa & Chr$(13) & "SDev: " & r2temp!StDevOfCostEa & Chr$(13) & "Count: " & r2temp!CountOfCOst & Chr$(13) & "P: " & p)
            While p < 0.5
                'flag the point
                r3temp.MoveFirst
                r3temp.Edit
                r3temp!FlaggedOutlier = True
                r3temp.Update

'get the records that drop this point
                sql = "SELECT TOP 1  tblCOGSoutlier.LineID, tblCOGSoutlier.FlaggedOutlier, tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum, "
                sql = sql & " tblCOGSoutlier.CostEa, Abs([costEa]-" & r2temp!AvgOfCostEa & ") AS Away"
                sql = sql & " FROM tblCOGSoutlier where (((tblCOGSoutlier.PartNum) Like """ & rtemp!PartNum & """) And "
                sql = sql & "((tblCOGSoutlier.FlaggedOutlier) = No)) ORDER BY Abs([costEa]-" & r2temp!AvgOfCostEa & ") DESC;"
                Set q3temp = db.CreateQueryDef("", sql)
                Set r3temp = q3temp.OpenRecordset(dbOpenDynaset, dbInconsistent, dbOptimistic)

'recalculate p
                p = 2 * (1 - SNorm2(r3temp!away / r2temp!StDevOfCostEa)) * r2temp!CountOfCOst

Wend
        End If
    End If
    'to get here, only non outliers are left....

'get the next part number
    rtemp.MoveNext

Wend

r3temp.Close
q3temp.Close
r2temp.Close
q2temp.Close
rtemp.Close
qtemp.Close

removeOutliers = True

End Function

'***********************************************************************
'* Cumulative Standard Normal Distribution                             *
'* (this function provides similar result as NORMSDIST( ) on Excel)    *
'* Source: http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/9245/vba6.htm           *
'***********************************************************************
Public Function SNorm2(z As Double) As Double

Const c1 = 2.506628
Const c2 = 0.3193815
Const c3 = -0.3565638
Const c4 = 1.7814779
Const c5 = -1.821256
Const c6 = 1.3302744
Dim w As Double, x As Double, y As Double

If z > 0 Or z = 0 Then
   w = 1
Else
   w = -1
End If

y = 1 / (1 + 0.231649 * w * z)

x = c6
x = y * x + c5
x = y * x + c4
x = y * x + c3
x = y * x + c2
SNorm2 = 0.5 + w * (0.5 - (Exp(-z * z / 2) / c1) * y * x)

End Function
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.