Oct 8 2010, 09:54 AM
I have a database that has worked perfectly so far, until today. When I opened up my db and my main form, all of the calculations on my form were blank. One calculations text box in particular was blinking. Now here's the strange part. If I "minimize" my screen to the taskbar of windows 7 and open it back up, the blinking stops and all my calculations appear in their appropriate text boxes and all is fine until I go to my next record and this "blinking" in one calculation starts again. I minimize my screen, reopen and everything works. It seems for some reason either a macro or the text box is trying to run, causing the blinking. Anyone know what is causing this and how to stop it? I back up this db everyday and went to one of my older backups and it did the same thing. I also have 3 other db's for different clients and this problem doesn't occur in the other db's, only this one..Hope someone can help fast..
Oct 8 2010, 10:52 AM
This may not help but:
1. I would compact and repair the FE and BE
2. I would make sure all service paks and hotfixes are downloaded
Oct 8 2010, 11:24 AM
1. Check your code to see if there are any DoEvents. Something on your computer might be keeping things busy.
2. Temporarily disable your virus checker and see it that makes a difference.
3. It might be something as simple as it's taxing your video card too much. Try setting the screen resolution and colors to a lower number to see if that helps.
Oct 8 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your reply but that didn't solve my problem..I'm still stumped.
Oct 15 2010, 04:10 PM
I finally rebooted my computer and it worked fine for a few days then this started all over again, I rebooted and again, it worked ok..There must be something running in my computer that causes this and when I reboot it stops (for awhile).
Nov 23 2010, 11:24 AM
Someone please try to help me with this. I'm still having problems with the above mentioned database. I've finally seem to have narrowed down part of the issue. When I start any other Office applicaton such as Microsoft Outlook Or Microsoft Word and then start my database, these other programs interfere. When either or both of these programs are running my calculations in my database don't calculate. As soon as I close those programs, all of my field calculations appear. Can anyone help me with this?
Nov 23 2010, 11:40 AM
As rebooting the computer or closing programs seems to fix it for a while, I have to wonder if your computer is somehow deficient.
1. Do you have a good virus / malware checker running and has it been updated lately?
2. Go to My Computer or Computer and right click on it then bring up the Properties. (I don't have Windows 7 so I don't remember the exact instructions).
a. Under System how much RAM does it show?
b. What is the Rating in the little blue box?
3. Rebooting a Windows machine every couple of days is usually a good idea. It often cures a lot of problems.
Nov 23 2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your reply. I've got 4 gig of ram with a little over 3 gig available. I use the microsoft essentials for my malware. I turn of my pc everynight and reboot every morning. When I reboot every morning and start my database and all works fine UNTIL I either start Outlook to check mail or Word. When I go back to my db and select a new record in the db to work with, all my calculations disappear.
Nov 23 2010, 12:08 PM
Wow. That certainly isn't right. A couple of suggestions.
1. Start Button, Programs, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office Tools, Microsoft Office Diagnostics. (The path might be a little different on your computer.) Run the Diagnostics programs and see what it says.
2. Internet Explorer, Tools, Windows Update. Or go to: http://www.update.microsoft.com/
Make sure that you have the latest and greatest fixes.
Nov 23 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all your help. I ran the diagnostics and no problem was found. Did all my updates and it seems to have corrected the problem with "outlook" causing my problem but I still have it when I open MSWord. It stops all my calculations, I have to close word and refresh all and the db works again. I didn't ever have this problem with XP. When I installed Windows 7 Home Premium I didn't have the problem in the beginning. I have 7 databases made in access, all from the same master db and only 1 of these 7 acts this way. For some reason there is something causing this in just this one database.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here