Full Version: Access Frontend to Mysql backend
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
kiki2010
We currently use a software that uses access for it main source of storing the data..The problem is that access can only hold 2gb which means every 2-3 months we are creating new Database, export some data from the old DB and then import to new DB then wait until that gets 2gb and start over the process..I'm trying to find a better way to store our data with out creating it new db..I have read the and link mysql backend but it looks like i didn't associate it correctly. Is there anyone out there that has tried this process and it working for them.. Please help..
Thank you so much,
Kiki
MiltonPurdy
Yes, it woks great for me and we have a several million record database.
All your tables are linked and each table can be password protected or password protected as a whole.
It use ODBC to connect Access to the sql server.
Make sure you load the ODBC driver on the server.
Setup your ODBC connections with the windows manager.
Use the linked table manger to link using UNC connection strings.
Everything is pretty simple.
kiki2010
Thank you so much for replying...So I have a window 7 computer with PhP/Mysql installed and I was able to get all the table from access to mysql however now when I update the Access db my information in mysql is not being updated. I am willing to restart from scratch but I might need the help..
Thank you,
kiki
MiltonPurdy
First, go to the command prompt and type ping your server ip.
When if you are using ODBC, go to ODBC setup in control panel and test the connection.
Also check your linked table manager to see if your tables are linking up.
BananaRepublic
Just in case - be aware that you have to downloaded MyODBC driver and performed those steps.
Hope that helps.
kiki2010
Ok.. I have ODBC set however i'm getting "invalid attribute string" message when I try to edit mysql driver...I am using window 7.
Thank you again for all your help.
kiki
BananaRepublic
What's your connection string look like?
kiki2010
Hello,
Connection string?
Localhost- port 3306 UN root and PW
I get an error message when I use MYsql ODBC 5.1.7. I have down graded to use 3.51 driver.
Thank you,
Kiki
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.