Full Version: Updating Info Through Form
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
brandon000000
I am developing a database for our customer service department. They need to be able to edit notes for each customer by ship to location. The way our system works is we have a customer with a customer number of ABC100. They will have a bill to address and sometimes they will have 10-20 ship to locations. Each location may have special notes or instructions required for each location. I need to see what would be the best way to have them pull in a customer by its ship to address into a form where they can add or edit the information, such as contact info and notes. Then when they "save" the information it will overwrite the old information and go back on to the table that holds all the information.
Any thoughts or suggestions on how to complete this is appreciated. I am just at the planning stage on this project so i am open to anything.
Thanks,
brandon
theDBguy
Hi Brandon,
That version of Access are you using? It all depends on your table structure. You can create a button that opens a bound form containing the ship to informartion and once you make the updates, it will automatically store it in the appropriate table. You can use the WhereCondition of the OpenForm method to open the detail form to the specific customer that is currently displayed in the first form.
Just my 2 cents...
brandon000000
I am using 2010. I haven't used anything with the wherecondition do have any examples
Thanks
theDBguy
Hi,
ere's an article at The Access Web on how to open a report to the current record but you can also do the same with a form.
Reports: Print only the current record to a report
Hope that helps...
brandon000000
I believe this will work. I appreciate the help. So that i am completely clear, i can use this to open a specific record form a table and it will open in a form. I can then add notes, etc.... to the form and save it and it will be able to update that record. On the save function of this form would i use an update query to update that record? What do you think would be the best solution for that.
Thanks,
brandon
theDBguy
Hi Brandon,
If you use a "bound" form, you won't have to do anything extra. Access will automatically save the changes for you into the table that the form is bound to.
Hope that helps...
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.