Full Version: How Large Can A Form Be?
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
AdamAl
I need to design a pop-up style form that shows a lot of data. If I want to make certain this form can completely fit on the screen of most monitors, what should I set the maximum width and height to be?
Thanks,
Adam
BananaRepublic
This actually depends on what screen resolution you are running. You can see more stuff on a 1920 x 1200 than if you used 1068 x 768.
herefore, find out what is the minimum screen resolution you want to support for your users and then design your form using that resolution.
BTW, you didn't mention version. If you are running 2007 or later, it may be desirable/appropriate to set anchoring and thus allow some content to "grow" on screen like they would on a report.
AdamAl
I'm on 2007. I've never tried anchoring but I'll look into it. Many thanks.
-Adam
BananaRepublic
Someone asked same question as you did, and anchoring was discussed in more details.... may be helpful:
The thread....
AdamAl
Hi BananaRepublic,
visited that link and put up a question, but I suspect that discussion is complete.
Anchoring sounds like something I'm going to have to learn about, but for now, I'm going to stick with a pop-up style form.
From what I saw in that discussion, one informed developer stated that, assuming a user is looking at a 1024 x 768 resolution, he typically used a form size of 8.5" x 5". From another post, he mentioned that he feels this leaves a generous amount of space so the form doesn't look cramped.
But when I look at an 8.5 x 5 form in 1024 x 768 resolution, I feel there's still plenty of room to increase the size of the form. If I wasn't too concerned about the form appearing too "cramped" in the screen, it looks to me that a form can be as large as 10" x 6.5" and still get away with some small space on the sides.
I'm I figuring this correctly?
If not, if you weren't too worried about the form looking cramped, and you don't want your user to scroll, for a 1024 x 768 resolution, what do you feel the maximum form size could be?
Many Thanks,
Adam
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.