Full Version: Export Table To Pipe Delimited Text File
UtterAccess Discussion Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Automation
fiftyfour
Through VBA, I'm using the TransferText method to create a delimited text file from a table. Problem is: I need to delimit the text file with a Pipe "|" symbol. Unfortunately, the text file exports it with commas being the delimiter. I also need to have text values surrounded by double quotes (which is does now). How can I choose the delimiter? I use to be able to build specifications, but I can't seem to find the spec wizard now.
Ygh VBA, I'm using the TransferText method to create a delimited text file from a table. Problem is: I need to delimit the text file with a Pipe "|" symbol. Unfortunately, the text file exports it with commas being the delimiter. I also need to have text values surrounded by double quotes (which is does now). How can I choose the delimiter? I use to be able to build specifications, but I can't seem to find the spec wizard now.
Your help is always appreciated.
Thanks,
theDBguy
Hi,
Try "manually" exporting the table first. The Spec Wizard should walk you through the process. If it does, you can then save the spec and use it in your code. If not, then perhaps you'll need to either turn the Wizard on (not sure how to do that) or "repair" your install of Access.
Just my 2 cents... 2cents.gif
fiftyfour
Thanks, I tried to export it manually, but the spec wizard never popped up. At the end of the export, Access prompts you to save the Export, but the next resulting window really does not give you an option to pick the delimiter. I also do not know how to fire the spec wizard. Right now I'm messing with the MSysIMExSpecs table...we'll see what happens there.
Thanks,
fiftyfour
Found the wizard. When you export the table manually, the first window will prompt you to check the "Export Data with formatting and layout". Don't select that check box and the wizard will be exposed.
Thanks,
theDBguy
Hi,
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.