Full Version: Getting Datatype Of Fields On A Form
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
Tim Freeman
Hi,
Is there a way to get the datatype of a field on a form just from the fields properties (assuming no formatting applied)?
If on a form you have a TextBox field the underlying data could be Numeric, Date or Text but there does not seem to be any way of getting the type except by creating a query based on the recordsource, eg SET rcd = currentdb.openrecordset("SELECT [ControlSource] FROM [RecordSource] ") and then looking at the data type for the field in the recordsource. While this would work it is somewhat ineficient!
Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
ace
If the form has a recordsource then it also has a recordsetclone which is a DAO.Recordset.
ook at it's fields collection.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff845405.aspx
missinglinq
The bigger question here, I think, is why you're trying to do this! If we knew that we could possibly give you a simple solution.
Linq ;0)>
Tim Freeman
If you are using the run time, you cannot use the right click to filter, copy or paste in a field. I am playing around with a code equvalent. So far I have a popup screen which only appears when the user right clicks in a field and some code to get the current control. I do not know the datatype of the field the user has clicked in (I am writting a generic solution). Given how clever some users can (not) be, I want to apply the right type of filter. Unfortunately this is not .DataType property for the field hence the question.
egards
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.