Full Version: Windows Xp To Windows Home Premium
UtterAccess Discussion Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Q and A
rmc123
I have been using Windows XP and Access 2007 for a few years and just upgraded to Windows Home Premium and my Access keeps crashing on me. It appears that my database becomes corrupted after a while. The trusted locations do not seem to work right. Are there some things that I need to know about this conversion so that I can figure out how to get my database working without it crashing? Thank you so much for your help.

Rose Mary

R. Hicks
What is/are your question(s) ????
Could be a problem caused by the upgrade to Win 7 or a problem with Access ... or even a problem with your application.
You need to post more details for someone to be able to diagnose the problem.

R.
ScottGem
Also which Windows? There is A Win 7 and a Win 8
rmc123
I am sorry to take so long, but I have been having lots of problems. The following is the problem: Every time I try to open one of my Access databases it keeps closing. and it gives a mesasge saying " Microsoft Access has stopped Working" and you have to click on Close the Program. It gives the problem details when you click on view details and it is the following:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MSACCESS.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014
Application Timestamp: 4542815c
Fault Module Name: StackHash_d155
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce6c3
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d155
Additional Information 2: d1559930fe71ce1052f357b32928b16e
Additional Information 3: 7edf
Additional Information 4: 7edf2bf1a85af99cde8c07a6d1ff71c9

I just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Home Premium. I can use Windows 7 Enterprise at the Library and open the same database that won't open on my pc there with no problem, but I can't keep doing my work at the library. There must be some settings that are not set correctly in Office. Office 2012 was also installed. I can open an older database in Windows 7 Access and it will open at the start but eventually will end up closing when I try to open a form at some point or another and will eventually totally stop opening as described above. I could at the start open this database and after working on it for a while I totally lost my ability to open it which will happen with every database I try to work with in Windows 7. A friend recommended a Decompile code and this is what we created based on what he did on his machine for corruption issues, although mine is not a corruption issue:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Users\Rose Mary\My Documents\Health Checks Unlimited\Database\13b Mikes Version after Corruption 050113 (Daily Work).accdb" " /decompile

The following are the two errors I get:

The command line you used to start Microsoft Office Access contains an option that Microsoft Office doesn’t recognize. Exit and restart Microsoft Office Access using valid command-line options.
I press OK and get the following:
Microsoft Office Access can’t find the database file ‘C:\Users\Rose Mary\My Documents\Health Checks Unlimited\Database\13b Mikes Version after Corruption 050113 (Daily Work).accdb.’ Make sure you entered the correct path and file name.

The paths appear to be correct and the code is correct from a document we got on UA and which works on his Windows 8. I am at a loss to know why the decompile code does not work nor opening and working with my database. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks you very much,
Rose Mary

gemmathehusky
it sounds like a corruption

i would be inclined to create a new dbs, and import everything from the old one.
rmc123
Hi Dave: Its not a corruption. I can open the same file at the library on their Windows 7. Perhaps you didn't see this in my explanation? Please give me some other options.

Thanks so much,
Rose Mary
gemmathehusky
check references, check paths, check folder permissions.

i would still reimport into a clean database.

check the access version

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE

maybe it's not office 12, and maybe the path is not the (x86) folder.

also, do you have an extra " at the end of the shortcut properties? it looks like there is a surplus one.
J.D.
Sounds to me like you need to update the patches/fixes for both Windows and Office. Even after installing a new copy of Win7 there is likely patches that have been released since your copy was created. I'm sure there are several updates for Office as well as it pertains to Win 7. Possibly even doing a repair or reinstall of Office would help?

Was this a clean install or an upgrade over top of XP? Did you uninstall / reinstall Office 2007 afterwards?

Just some ideas of possiblities that aren't real clear in the thread.

Hope this helps,
rmc123
Hi J D and Dave: I checked my Microsoft Office 2007 and I do not have any Service Packs installed and it appears that it is at SP 3. Can I go straight to SP 3 and download it or do have to download each one starting with SP 1?

Also, I wanted to verify that even though my directory says Office 2012, when I right click on MS Word at my start menu it says the target is Microsoft Ultimate 2007, therefore, this is what I have and not Office 2012. Is this correct?

Thanks so much for your help.

Rose Mary
J.D.
Yes, you should be able to go straight to SP3.

And don't confuse the "behind the scenes" version number with the public/friendly version number of Office

Version 12 = Office 2007
Version 14 = Office 2010

And if that isn't confusing enough there isn't a version in between. Except maybe for a MAC?

Microsoft changed what it calls things a few times over the years. Back in the 90's we had Windows 3.0 and Office 3 and then later in the late 90's and into 2000, there was Win2000 and Office 2000 and Win95 and Office95, as well of Win98 and Office97.

So for the public's benefit, they kept the year reference for Office (Office 2007, 2010, 2013)and just went with a number for Windows (7, 8..). But in the about boxes and install folders etc, everthing is based on a version number and not a year regardless of the product.

Hope this helps,
rmc123
Hi JD: When I try to download the Service pack I get the following error:

C:\Users\Rose Mary\Desktop\office2007sp3-kb2526086-fullfile-en-us.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

I tried it from the microsoft website and then from CNET. What does this mean?

Thanks so much!
Rose Mary
rmc123
Hi JD: The Service pack did download, but it is a .part file. It says to open it with FileTypeHelper which it downloaded at the same time. I put both files on my desktop and associated the Service Pack with the FileTypeHelper, but it still doesn't open the file. How do I get the Service Pack? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Rose Mary
rmc123
Hi JD: SP 3 took some time to connect to FileTypeHelper and I have installed the SP3, therefore, I will contact back once I have also done all the things that Dave recommeded. Thanks so much for all your help.

Rose Mary
J.D.
SP3 is a very large file set, so I'm betting the .part was because the download was still in process somehow (part meaning partial) as the file name should have ended in .exe

The file type helper is a windows utility for unknown file types and is what came up because windows didn't know what to do with the .part extension.

If you got it to install though, that is great. Let us know if you have any more issues.
rmc123
Hi JD: It took 2 tries, but I got the SP3 installed and, Whalaa, it worked! My database comes up and doesn't immediately crash. I still have to work with it to make sure that it's stable, and I will do a check on all the permissions, paths, and everything as Dave recommended, but I believe that this did the trick. Even my DAP now works which didn't work before. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am going to take the day off after all that I have been through and do the rest of the work tomorrow!

Rose Mary
J.D.
Glad you got it working. Upgrading the Operating system is never an easy task.

Good luck with the rest of your project and enjoy your day off. cheers.gif
rmc123
Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.