Full Version: Name Error On Each Field In Form View
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
cnl5609
Hello everybody,

I am having trouble figuring out how to solve this #Name? error that I am having after running Form Wizard and importing fields from the Oracle database I am working with. I have researched this problem online and most of the suggestions have said to rename the "Name" property to a name that is different from the "Control Source" property. However, I am still getting that error even after changing it and saving the form and then looking at it again in Form View. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about solving this? A screenshot of the problem is attached and a copy of the database. Thank you.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RJD
welcome2UA.gif

Took a look at your attached db - and there are no tables, just linkage names to Oracle, and we don't seem to have those files. So, the tables were not imported. Could you try importing the tables into your db and trying again? Or post back the attachment after you have the tables imported.

HTH
Joe
cnl5609
Hi Joe.

This is my first time working with Oracle and Microsoft Access for this database class that I am taking and we need to create a frontend solution for a backend that we have developed in Oracle. When we set up the ODBC driver in class, it was suggested to use the Link to the data source option in the Form Wizard. Based on your response, should I go for the first option instead? I am working on this with a classmate and on another forum. So far, the only other thing I have tried is removing the symbols from the name and just calling them simply Client, Customer, etc. That did not seem to have any effect.
GroverParkGeorge
Can you even open the tables directly in the Navigation Pane?
cnl5609
Yes, I can open them directly and they are populated with data.
RJD
We can help you narrow this down if you will import the tables into Access and see if this resolves your issue. (Obviously, we don't have your Oracle db.) If this does resolve your issue, then you'll have to look for what is probably an Oracle linkage issue. If it does not resolve the issue, then post the db with the imported tables and we can take a look.

HTH
Joe
cnl5609
I am working on this, but I am having some difficulty with getting the relationships set right. When I wiped all the tables out to use the wizard to import the data instead of the link and imported them instead, it didn't set any of the primary keys. So I'm trying to set the relationships, but it is giving me trouble saying that "One or more of the tables isn't related to the others."
cnl5609
Okay all.

I have imported these tables as requested. I ran the wizard and it seems to work okay now that I imported instead of linked. I will attach the DB again for reference. A couple of other things I should note is that when I had the tables linked as the wizard selection, I was able to do the wizard with single tables at a time without that name error.
RJD
Hi again: I took a look at your db with the tables in place. I see you are using an embedded query in the report (wizard stuff I guess, something I completely avoid in creating reports) rather than a saved query. And also I notice that you are using INNER JOINs everywhere, when that might not be the appropriate approach.

My suggestion is that you start untwisting this by creating a query that produces the records and fields you want on the form - and remember that if you want to update the data in the form, you should probably limit a form to one table's records. Creating the query will verify that you are getting the data you want before going to the form. You can combine tables on informational forms or on reports, but through appropriate queries.

At least, that's a start. We can't actually see your problem without having your setup with Oracle, something most of us probably won't duplicate.

But you said you are doing this for a class. We generally do not help much, if at all, with your classwork, as you should be getting this on your own and through your class sessions.

HTH
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.