Full Version: Using formatted text in memo field
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
KingMartin
Hello,
Could you please point me in the right direction...
I'd like to develop a small simple database that would help us to keep track of the current status of our projects. There will be inevitably quite a lot of text input, describing the details of the project's milestone.
Is there a way how to enjoy at least some of the formatting that's common in Word (particularly paragraphs, bulleting, etc.)? I guess I will have to introduce RTF ActiveX Control, but I don't know where to start.
Even if it's in the 'required field', I stress that I use Office2k.
Thank you in advance
frown.gif
Martin
JVanKirk
Don't know much about adding in the ActiveX controls, but if all else fails you could type up your text in Word and then copy paste to your memo field/control.
ason
KingMartin
Thank you Jason,
would like to have the ability to write directly in the Access form, being able to apply at least Font formatting, bulleting and paragraphs.
Ohave, say, 50 projects times 3-4 'memo' fields to update. I guess there's a possibility to have these approx.200 fileds as RTF files and loading them into the form's controls and reports. I just don't know where to start and also I wonder if Access2002/2003 has maybe better tools?
Martin
KingMartin
Actually what I am looking for is a sample code showing how to use MS Rich Textbox 6.0 control.
I have found this link so far:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....tboxcontrol.asp
I'd still be grateful for a working demo though.
Checked
http://www.fmsinc.com/Products/memo/index.html and
http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm ,
but I thought I'd better to stick to the MS original because of the compatibility reasons.
FOr is it a bad idea?
Thank you
frown.gif
Martin
Jack Cowley
I have not tried the package from Steve Lebans, but most of his stuff if very good. I would not hesitate to try it a database of mine....
th,
Jack
KingMartin
Thanks Jack,
I am just not sure how it works if I expose the database in a multiuser environment. I guess everybody has Rich textbox installed, but what about Steve's RTF2?
Wouldn't I have to install/register the control on all other users' comps? I hate explaining to the IT guys why I need Admin access to other computers... frown.gif
Thanks
Martin
cielo
Steve Leban's RTF control works great!
I have used it without any trouble at all. I had imported a friends Excel worksheet fiiled with excerpts from articles (it's amazing what people will do with Excel....for tracking text?). Anyway, he needed formatting within the text so RTF worked perfectly for it.
Existing imported or created text in a memo field needs to be massaged via an update query to append the RTF characters required to make the text visible in the control.
The webpages samples can be used to see how the control works with respect to these characters.
Any hassles - you know where to find me..
Alan
KingMartin
Thank you Alan,
Just tell me before I start to experiment frown.gif
Does the control become part of the database or do I have to install the ActiveX control on other users' machines also?
Thanks
Martin
cielo
Oh dear! I'm no boff but I would say yes because when you install RTF the OCX gets registered to that machine (automatically). I would assume therefore that it needs to be done on each machine within the network.
I'm not all that experienced with networks and stuff like that but common sense tells me that the control on the form will bomb if it can't find the OCX elsewhere on the PC.
Hope someone else can explain/answer better.
Any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I don't get much opportunity to respond to posts here. I'm on a crummy dial-up which limits my time here a tad.
Alan
KingMartin
that's what I also expect. I'll probably try to stick to the Rich Textbox shipped along with the Office Pro release... frown.gif
Thanks anyway
Martin
Jack Cowley
Like cielo I am NOT a network or multi-user person, but I am sure that you will need to install the control on each machine. Let IT install the program on the users computers if they are worried as it wont take but a minute...
Good luck and I was glad to hear such a good review on Steve Leban's program...
Jack
KingMartin
Thanks for your time Jack.
I'll be back with the experience, first local (I am no network person at all frown.gif ) and then we'll see.
artin
Jack Cowley
Martin -
You are welcome and I am sure that you will soon have this sorted and working perfectly!
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.