Full Version: Schedule
UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
kerepuki
Hi, I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of how to/where to find a system that is like a digital diary.
That I require:
- Calendar function
- From the calendar I want to be able to select the day and then the appropriate data will be shown
- The form will have slots that can be filled out (15min slots), kinda like a day planner
The whole system is built except this one feature and I have got NO idea where to start or how to do it.
Appreciate any help...thanks
Jack Cowley
In the attached demo you could modify 'frmDayDetail' to show 15 minute intervals if that is what you need...
th,
Jack
kerepuki
Thank you, that is very very close to what I would like. Thank you so much.
I am now wondering if the code can be altereded to have all the slots on-screen already so have slots from 7am - 7pm (15 min intervals) already displayed so that the user can see what times they have free during that day.
Oknow I am probably being a pain in the [censored] but thanks in advance
Kere
kerepuki
Sorry, I know it can be altered, just wondering how this could be done as I have no idea wink.gif
Jack Cowley
You will need a 'lookup' table something like this:
blTimeScheduleLookup
TimeScheduleID (PK and auto)
ScheduleTime (7:00, for the first record then 7:15 in the next...one record for each time.)
Then modify the table 'tblData' that came in the demo so it looks something like This. You can change it as necessary but be careful as there is code in the form(s) and queries that relies on the current names of the fields in this table. I have changed the names used in the demo because the word Month and Day are reserved words in Access:
tblData
tblDataID (PK and auto)
ScheduleMonth (Text)
ScheduleDay (Number)
ScheduleTime (Text. To be filled with data from TimeScheduleLookup table)
Description (Text)
...Other Fields As You Feel Are Necessary...
Now you will need an Append Query based on the tblTimeScheduleLookup to add the ScheduleMonth, ScheduleDay and ScheduleTime to the table 'tblData' when the user opens the Calendar to a new date, assuming that day has not already been filled in.
If you are new to Access then this is going to take a little work on your part, but search Access help for Append Queries for some assistance....
Good luck!
hth,
Jack
kerepuki
Now I am confused lol.
I have created the table tblTimeScheduleLookup and altered the tblData but now what. I have tried to look through a few append query examples...they dont make sense to me.
I am sorry for being a pain in the a*** but I would like this to work.
Thank you, thank you, thank you
Please...
Jack Cowley
Give me a while and I will try to give you a small demo, but I know that it will need a lot more code than I am going to put in it...
ack
Jack Cowley
Here is a very crude and incomplete demo. If you open the calendar form and click on November 1 you will see a partial list of times. There is only code in this particular button so it will have to be added to the other butttons along with code to check the table to be sure that the data for the selected date has not already been added otherwise the Append Query will run and double up on the data. You will also need to finish the table "tblIntervalLookup". I am sure that other code will be needed but time does not permit me to create the database for you.

Good luck and I hope this helps...

Jack
kerepuki
When I try to check to see if the data has been added it still adds another set of times. Also when I change the month on the caledar the days stay the same.
I have also tried to put the code into the other working calendar however that doesnt seem to want to work either.
I am stuck...again
Jack Cowley
Access can be SO frustrating can't it? Can you post the code you use to see if the data already exists so that the append query is not run again? Are you getting any errors? If so, what are the?
It would probably be best if you could post your db so I or someone else can take a look at it and see what you are up to. It is Friday for you so I do not know if you will be around on the weekend, which is still a day away for me. I will not be here tomorrow (your Saturday) and problably not on your Monday (I am a busy fellow) but I 'should' be here on your Tuesday... That darn International Date Line... And I may not be around here much longer as it is getting dark and time for me to find a nice NZ Chardonnay and beat a hasty retreat to my lounger...
Jack
kerepuki
Here is the database that I am working with...well a very limited version, its no where near complete
Jack Cowley
I have your database but I don't know where you are trying to do what you want to do. Which form are you using? Where is your table of time intervals? Where is your calendar?
ack
kerepuki
Hey, I was using a seperate database to try to get the calendar and stuff working before I did it in this database. I am currently at work and I am away for the weekend so I dont have access to the other database. I was going to try to get it all working in a seperate file and then do it in the database you have.
Thanks, Kere
Jack Cowley
Gotcha! If you have a problem with your calendar and append query let us know and someone here will be able to help you.
ack
kerepuki
I have been talking to a cople of other people about the problem and they mention just using Outlook to handle the bookings? What are your thoughts on this?
Jack Cowley
I have never tried to work with Outlook from Access, but you can do it. How you do it I haven't a clue so for me I would do it all in Access because that is the system I know. You will find some sample code for Access and Outlook at this site. Whether it will address your specific requirements or not I cannot say...
th,
Jack
kerepuki
Thanks for that dude, I will have a look and let you know how I get on. I think if I use Outlook it could save me some time in trying to muck around with the calendar and other functions etc.
Not sure if you still wanted to have a crack at it but feel free to if you have the time, I appreciate your opinion and efforts. I was even prepared to pay someone to finish it off for me...well the booking part anyway.
Thanks again,
Kere
Jack Cowley
Kere -
It this point I will let you fiddle with the code and suggestions I sent earlier because it will be a good learning experience for you. I assume you are a developer or working towards that goal so if I do it for you you will not have to sort it out yourself and learn in the process. We Yanks are a tough lot...
Go for it and if you hit a wall you know that someone here at UA will gladly help get you over that hurdle.
Good luck and don't hesistate to ask for assistance if you need it!
Jack
kerepuki
Hi Jack, thank you for all your help.
I am a student working towards my IT degree however programming is not my strong point, I am actually the UI designer so I have no idea about access and how to do anything in it.
I was wondering if it was possible to use the built in calendar control to populate the form and view the time slots?
aoh
Kere, Jack,
Sorry to jump in, but just a comment on linking to Outlook. Kere, you said in the original post that "The whole system is built except this one feature" so I assume you want more from this than Outlook can provide.
It's very easy to create a table in Access linked to the Outlook calendar. However, due to some wierd and wonderful thinking on the part of our friends in Seattle, this table contains three dates, including the date the appointment was made, but NOT the date the appointment is to be kept.
You could export from Outlook to a seperate Access database and link to this in your application, but this means having to do the export on a regular basis to keep the information up-to-date - and it's one-way only from Outlook to Access.
I've tried all these methods, and ended up coding the calendar in Access - at the end of the day, it was worth the effort (with major thanks to many people on UA).
Just my €0.02.
Anne
Jack Cowley
Kere -
You are very welcome!
The built in calendar will let you populate controls on forms with the date selected in the calendar. To get it to more than that is problematic. I am not sure what you mean by '...populate the form and veiw the time slots.' The demo I sent you will let you look at the time slots for a selected date so I am not sure what you are asking. If you want the built in calendar to replace the calendar in the demo I think that is possible, but I have not looked into that possibility.
Jack
kerepuki
Hi Anne, thank you for your input, always good to get some wink.gif
would code this myself...or try to anyway...however I am trying to find an easy way around as time doesnt permit me to try different...to me harder as I am not a programmer lol...methods.
I am actually leaving New Zealand in a week and would like to get this finished but again dont really know what to do...lol
I could trade ya, graphic design for a working schedule...trying to barter wink.gif
Anyway thanks a million
Kere
This is a "lo-fi" version of UA. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.