Full Version: Checkbox Help
UtterAccess Discussion Forums > Microsoft® Access > Access Forms
DColey
I have an employee database that has three different types of employees (officials, contractors, transcriptionists) with a separate table and form for each type of employee. On my "Officials" form, I have a checkbox that I can check to let me know if an official is also on the transcriptionist list. My goal is to not have to type in all of the officials and contractors who are also transcriptionists all over again. I want to be able to check that box on the "officials" form and the contact information will automatically be copied to the "transcriptionist" form and table. I'm sure this can be done, but I'm kind of new at this and don't have a clue how to make it happen.......HELP!!
Thanks in advance.
dannyseager
You have a normalisation problem (your tables are not set up correctly...
The 3 types of employees belong in 1 table.
Jack Cowley
If the data is the same for all employees (and I assume it is) then you only want one table for employees and a related table that lists their type of employement(s).
blEmployees
EmployeeID (PK and auto)
LastName
FirstName
...etc...
tblPositionsLookup
PositionsID (PK and auto)
PositionName
tblEmployeePositions
EmployeePositions (PK and auto)
EmployeeID (FK)
PositionsID (FK)
hth,
Jack
Jack Cowley
Hiya Danny -
a beat me by minutes...
Jack
DColey
I'm not sure I explained my situation correctly....
The officials are my only employees, however I manage a contractor list as well as a transcriptionist list. I have them all in one database, but for the most part the three are not related. My "officials" table has a lot more in depth information than the other two. The other two only contain basic contact information that about 2000 other people have access to. I do not send out the "officials" information. It has a lot of personal information that I don't want people having access to. I actually have the "officials" tables and forms password protected.
That being said, some of my official reporters do work as transcriptionists on the side, so there is certain contact information that I would like to send over to the "transcriptionists" form when I click the checkbox.
I hope I'm making sense.
Jack Cowley
It sounds like Contractors and Transcriiptionists should be in the same table, not separate tables. If your data is properly normailzed, as suggested by Danny Seager, then you should be able to have a subform on the transcriptionist form that shows the related data that you want. A boolean field in the table of Contractors and Transcriptionists should work as a trigger to show or hide a subform on the Transcriptionist form.
th,
Jack
dannyseager
Jack... my answer might have been first but yours was of more substance.
You were missed when you were not on UA last week... I saw 2 threads wondering where you had gone.
Jack Cowley
Danny -
Thank you for your kind words! I have been up to my eyebrows in a complex db and that is why I have not been around very much lately. I still have a long way to go on the db, but my brain is porridge so I have been taking some time off, now and again, and dropping in for a visit and to rest up the muddled synapses...
Jack
dannyseager
Any time Jack...
eah dont you love the way that database logic prevents your brain from functioning on anything else whilst trying to sort out the details...
I'm looking at getting another assistant so I can hopefully spread the workload more... just gotta find the right 18 year old female candidate frown.gif
Jack Cowley
Naughty naughty... Just pick the best looking applicant and then your can train her if she has no skills... grinhalo.gif
dannyseager
Jack... That's the sort of idea that'll get me single..
I've not got time to train anyone really so I'm looking for someone that know's their way round SQL server, Access and ASP...
You dont fancy relocating do you frown.gif You must be getting sick of all that gorgeous weather by now frown.gif
Jack Cowley
Don't tell!!!
would love to relocate but the last time I was there King Charles banned me to America for life....
jmcwk
BUT! What about the Vino? Couldn,t resist!
Edited by: jmcwk on Tue May 24 18:42:14 EDT 2005.
DColey
Thanks for the info, guys. I know where to go with the contractors and transcriptionists tables and forms....but how can I tie in the fact that some officials' contact information needs to be on the transcriptionist table? I'm still a little confused as to the best way to go about that since they won't be on the same table.
Could I use an update query to accomplish this task?
Remember, I'm learning. Hope I'm not being annoying.
dannyseager
I wish someone would ban me to america for life frown.gif
Jack Cowley
LMAO!!!
If I had not been banned I would have the wine shipped to me, though some of the good California wines are readily available in the UK... If Betty (the current queen) lifts the ban I will get on the first ship loaded with California wines and head back....
Jack
dannyseager
Why anyone would give up life in california for drizzly bleak england I could never guess...
Jack Cowley
You are not annoying as everyone of us has been where you are....
You do not put the data from the 'Officials' table into the other tables because that would cause redundant information and that is something that is a big no-no in a relational database. What you do is 'relate' the tables and how best to do that I cannot say as I have not seen your structure. My guess would be that you need a junction table so that you can join the Official table and the other tables. This way you can get the data from the Officials table and show it on the form that has data from the other table with Contractors and Transcriptionists. The junction table might look like this:
tblOfficialsAndOthers
OfficialAndOthersID (PK and auto)
OfficialID (FK)
ContractorTranscriptionistID (FK)
hth,
Jack
Jack Cowley
It is very photogenic there on the 3 days that the sun shines...
On second thought maybe I will just hang out here in the spectaular Bay Area...
DColey
Will work on it. Thanks for the advice.
Jack Cowley
You are welcome. I realize that relational databases can be difficult to sort out as normalization is not something the you use in a paper-driven world. I would suggest that you read this article and look at the Northwind db that comes with Access. There is a junction table in that db and seeing how it works may help you sort out how to normalize your structure.
Good luck and if you need help all you have to do is post your question here at UA.....
Jack
dannyseager
3 days?!?!? If we're lucky
Jack Cowley
Gimme a break! The last time I was there the sun shone for 7 days straight! The whole country was in shock, but it was true because I saw it!
dannyseager
that must have been before i was born... 2 days straight is cause for a national holiday here now frown.gif
Jack Cowley
Dang straight that it was before you were born! I just missed the queens coronation by a couple of years.. Betty the second, not the first....
dannyseager
So that would be about 1955 - 1956?
wasnt around until a few years after that...
Jack Cowley
1956 to be exact. I came for the reunion of the soldiers at battle of Hastings so I could see some of my old pals in arms...
dannyseager
LOL! frown.gif
I was born at the very end of 1980 so not that long after.... frown.gif
Jack Cowley
So young... We could have used you at the Battle of Hastings... One heck of a fight and you missed the whole thing and every war since... Big sigh....
dannyseager
LOL!!
actually know some re-enacters who are going next year to celebrate it with a huge battle... I'll see if I can get you a ticket frown.gif
Jack Cowley
I get in free as I am a veteran of the battle. Who do you think they came to for some of the historical facts?
dannyseager
I knew all those bits about the mass wine drinking sounded like someone I knew...
ack.. you da Man!! frown.gif
Jack Cowley
LMAO! You are a funny man Danny... And that part is true. When you had an arrow in your chest we got to drink a bunch of wine to numb the pain so we could keep on fighiting...
dannyseager
>
The good old days eh Jack...
The kids of today... If they got an arrow in thier chest... they'd probably do the lazy thing and just die.... kids huh!! grinhalo.gif
Jack Cowley
Yeah, kids nowadays.... People born in the 80's....Sheesh...
know you could handle an arrow in the chest because you do not require any sleep. We sure could have used you that day....
dannyseager
I dont know jack... I'm getting older now... I'm thinking of heading bed in an hour or so.
Jack Cowley
LOL! Yeah, you are older, but not very much. You can stay up as late as you like, but I am gonna call it a day as the wine cellar beckons.... A nice chilled Sauvignon Blanc on a warm, sunny day... Ahhhhh.....
dannyseager
lucky you...
I'm not jealous though... i've got a day of patchy rain to look forward to frown.gif
Jack Cowley
Danny -
YOU LUCKY DEVIL! And I have to put up with these dang warm, sunny days and you get rain, cold and gray... Some guys have all the luck...
I am off to the cellar so you have a pleasant evening or early morning. I am gonna sit back iwth my beverage and watch the sun as it casts longer and longer shadows across the hills... Life is good in the Bay Area...
Good night or good morning, whichever is appropriate....
Jack
fkegley
I would like a nice 18 year old working under me! On second thought, it would probably kill me.
dannyseager
Frank... it would be a good way to go....
ight... I'm following Jacks suit and loggin off... it's 2.40AM and I've got work in the morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.