UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Point Me to Good Optimization Threads Please    

yosemitegurl
post Sep 27 2006, 10:17 AM
Post#1

I have this great little app I've been working on forever. It has worked so fast during testing while I was working with a front end linked to files on my laptop. However, even when I am the only person using the thing with the data on the network it is a little slow. Now I have 3 other users in the thing pretty much constantly and it is like molasses! Here's the irony ... the acronym for the thing works out to be TWFAST. DOH! Before it gets a new name (like TOO SLOW!) please point me to some threads on optimization, PLEASE!
Thanks,
Karen
Go to the top of the page

niesz
post Sep 27 2006, 10:23 AM
Post#2

Utter A-fishin'-ado

Please describe your full configuration. Is this DB split? Where are all of the files? Who is accessing which file? The speed of the network is one factor, but your file configuration is where I would look first.

yosemitegurl
post Sep 27 2006, 01:17 PM
Post#3

I have a 26MB front end loaded on each person's computer. I have 2 files for the back end. One is 7MB the other is 8MB in size. The files are located on a server that is accessed through our corporate LAN. Does that give enough information?
I was hoping you might know of some threads on this topic as well.
Thanks,
Karen

NoahP
post Sep 27 2006, 03:09 PM
Post#4

Retired Moderator

One link to share.
posted a db here in the Code Archive Forum that will set the subdatasheet property for all tables to [None] which is one cause of slow performance. Another huge one is to make sure you have the Name Autocorrect turned off.

niesz
post Sep 27 2006, 09:39 PM
Post#5

Utter A-fishin'-ado

Here is an FAQ article that may be of assistance.

mishej
post Sep 27 2006, 10:20 PM
Post#6

Retired Moderator

There are lots of possibilities here. You should have a split database and sounds like you do.
urn off subdatasheets in your tables (in Design View, Properties).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q261000/
Use record-level locking ("edited" record) - Tools, Options, Advanced tab I believe.
When the front-end opens, create a connection to the back-end and hold it open while the front-end app is in use. These helps maintain the .ldb lock file so it isn't constantly created/deleted.
Avoided loading up combo boxes with large number of records.
Design your forms to display a record at a time (perhaps using unbound forms).
Make sure your tables are properly indexed.
The back-end .mdb needs to be on a share where all users have read/write/delete permissions.
Don't bury the back-end share more than a couple of directories in the file system, e.g.
c:\src\test\phase 1 install\new York\amy\newUI\myBE.mdb
is bad. Use folder names of 8 characters or less. Avoid spaces. This is better:
c:\appName\myBE.mdb
There are some registry entries that can help - search the Microsoft KnowledgeBase (MSKB).
Avoid use of the Domain functions - DLookup(), DCount(), DMax(), etc.
Write efficient SQL for your queries.
Convert the front-end to a .MDE type file (make sure you keep the original .MDB file in a safe place - you can't reverse convert!)
Turn off Name AutoCorrect (Tools, Options, General tab).
Make sure you have all the latest Jet service packs, the latest Office service packs for your Access installation and that all users are at the same level. This is very important or you could be chasing different problems on each installation.
A lot of these are repeated at Tony Toews site (a great resource). FMS offers some good info:
http://www.fmsinc.com/tpapers/index.html#A...cess%20Versions
Hope that helps...

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 01:12 AM