UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ULS and multiple DBs    

upittwoman
post Oct 10 2006, 04:50 PM
Post#1

First of all, let me say ULS stinks (that's all I'm allowed to say cool.gif). But, my question is - I'm creating another DB for another usergroup. When I open the new DB that I'm developing, it prompts me to login. I have to use the login for the other DB to open it. Why is this (and I assume all) DBs attached to the Workgroup file? How do I connect a Workgroup file to only one DB?

Thanks
Edited by: upittwoman on Tue Oct 10 17:54:32 EDT 2006.
Go to the top of the page

Peter46
post Oct 10 2006, 06:03 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Databases are not attached to a workgroup file.
YOU are attached to a workgroup file and everything you do is subject to you being authenticated by that workgroup file.
If you join a different workgroup which has not been set to require a login, you will not have to log in.

Edited by: freakazeud on Tue Oct 17 12:17:53 EDT 2006.

upittwoman
post Oct 11 2006, 10:04 AM
Post#3

Hey Peter - thanks
Edited by: freakazeud on Tue Oct 17 12:17:21 EDT 2006.

anj109
post Oct 17 2006, 08:43 AM
Post#4

Yeah that was a rude reply...I would like to know the answer to this one. Would post my own but I think she explained what she wanted answered pretty well. Is it possible to only have one database prompt for a password or if you do it to one, then all the databases used on that comp require one?
Thanks!

niesz
post Oct 17 2006, 09:05 AM
Post#5

Utter A-fishin'-ado

ULS is rather complex and a bit difficult to explain...but I'll try my best. The WorkGroup file is the key to it all. By default, when you sign into a plain unprotected Access DB you are still using a WorkGroup file: (System.MDW) It is the default workgroup file that ALL of your standard DBs use. When creating a ULS secured database you need to create a NEW workgroup file, join it, and THEN create the new DB. The problem most people trip over is that they start modifying the Default workgroup file, not knowing that they are joined to it. Access allows them to do this and their DBs seem to be secure... but EVERY DB on their machine now prompts them for the username/password authentification. To make matters worse, when they copy the DB to ANOTHER machine (which still has the Default workgroup with its original default settings), their what they thought to be "protected" DB opens without any security prompts whatsoever.
Just remember-- You must create and then join a workgroup (through WorkGroup Manager, depending on your version of Access) before creating the DB. Once the DB is created, rejoin the default workgroup System.MDW as soon as possible to avoid confusion. Then to access your DB, do it through a shortcut that specifies the name of the workgroup to use through a switch.

anj109
post Oct 17 2006, 09:16 AM
Post#6

Thanks for that reply...you explained it well. The only thing I'm confused about is that last line...how do I acomplish this? Also, if my database is already fully functional with a front end and backend and a workgroup file(I have one user using it so far), how do I get around this cause you mentioned that you want to set up the security before creating the database? And which DB do I want to be working with, the FE or the BE?
Sorry if I didn't explain very well.
Alex

niesz
post Oct 17 2006, 09:26 AM
Post#7

Utter A-fishin'-ado

To open a DB with a shortcut, you need the following syntax:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\YourDB.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:\YourWorkGroup.mdw"

Obviously, you need to change the paths to match your environment.

If you have not created a new workgroup file, your DB is not secured. It may seem that way on your machine because it prompts for a password, but you will be able to access it simply by copying it to another machine. If you're not sure, the best way is to start over by exporting all the objects into a new blank unsecured DB and reapply the security from scratch.

You may also find this FAQ helpful.

EDIT: One last note. Any Access DB can be penetrated...even with ULS applied correctly. It is simply another barrier to keep prying eyes out. Access 2007 (which does not have ULS) boasts of increased security, but it will not be verified until its release.

anj109
post Oct 17 2006, 10:06 AM
Post#8

That worked PERFECTLY!! Thank you so much.
lex

niesz
post Oct 17 2006, 10:09 AM
Post#9

Utter A-fishin'-ado

NP.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2017 - 11:13 PM