UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Runtime version of Split Database on one PC?    

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 09:50 PM
Post#1

Hello,
downloaded the runtime files today for Access 2007 and I have been able to successfully create a runtime of an unsplit version of my database, but when I split the database I am having trouble.
First of all, I have never done this before so I don't fully understand what I can and cannot do. I created a runtime of the front end and selected the backend as a file to be included by the installation. Well, this did not work. I get a runtime error and the database closes as soon as the database tries to access the backend...
I am now assuming that I can't have the front end as a runtime and use it to access the backend when it is not a runtime... Pretty silly of me I suppose to think I could do that. Anyway, I am now worried that I will not be able to have a runtime version of a split database running on the same PC. Is this correct? I don't want to have the backend on a server; the back end needs to be on the same PC as the front end for my purposes.
I read some instructions that someone posted here, that if I understood correctly is saying that you have to create a runtime of both the backend and front end, and install them on different computers. Does it absolutely have to be done this way? I really need this to work on the same computer.
Thank you!!!
JimFox
Go to the top of the page

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 09:54 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi,
Welcome to UA forums.
Check this recent post. It actually deals with your exact scenario. Furthermore, try to explain your main situation a little further. Why does it need to be on one computer? I would assume you would probably need to include a package for the frontend which includes the runtime version and then one package which is just for the backend application itself.
HTH
Good luck

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 09:58 PM
Post#3

Thanks for responding freakazeud. I already read that post but I did not see where it answers my question. Do you happen to know the answer, or do you know where in the post you referenced I can find the answer?
Thank you!
JimFox

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 10:02 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Can you try to explain your main situation a little further. Why does it need to be on one computer? As mentioned I would assume you would probably need to include a package for the frontend which includes the runtime version and then one package which is just for the backend application itself.
HTH
Good luck

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:05 PM
Post#5

freakazeud -- I have developed a database that I am going to sell that is meant to run on one computer because my customers will normally only have one computer to run it on. I want the db to be split for ease of maintenance and upgrading, etc.
Thanks!
JimFox

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:08 PM
Post#6

I am doubting that I can install two runtime databases on the same PC because when I tried to re-install my runtime version on my PC, a message popped up and told me I had to uninstall the db before I could install it again. But maybe that's just because it was the same db. Maybe I would not get the error if I had been installing a runtime of the backend. I need to try this out. Do you just happen to know though, whether or not I can do that?
Thanks,
JimFox

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 10:13 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Ok...so I would just use two separate file packages. The first package will be for the frontend...include the Runtime version...in the additional files section of the packaging wizard include the setup.exe of the second package you created for the backend file which only holds the backend itself.
You will need to implement a method in the frontend to refresh the table links to the backend location. There are several samples in the code archive that can do this for you. You will only need to include the Runtime in one package (the frontend).
HTH
Good luck

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:16 PM
Post#8

Wow! I sure hope it works. I've got a whole lot of my time and energy riding on this... I've waited till the end, for the runtime release, before figuring all this out. I wish I would not have waited to ask these questions. But I just did not know what to ask...
Thanks!
JimFox

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 10:19 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

You're welcome.
Let us know what you figure out.
Good luck!

niesz
post Jul 21 2007, 10:22 PM
Post#10

Utter A-fishin'-ado

If I understand what the Runtime actually does, it simply copies the base Access files needed to open and run a database. So once the Runtime is installed on a machine, there is no need to install it again anew for every individual database. Once it is installed, a simple copy should be all that is needed for the BE database.

Am I thinking correctly?

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:26 PM
Post#11

niesz - I don't know for sure. But if a PC does not have access installed, I suppose it would not know what to do with a db that is not in a runtime version. Maybe that's why they both have to be runtime... I am about to try this theory out....
Thanks,
JimFox

niesz
post Jul 21 2007, 10:29 PM
Post#12

Utter A-fishin'-ado

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "runtime" version of a database. There is the runtime "package" that installs on a PC to manipulate an Access DB, but that Access DB is not altered from a standard DB. You could copy the .MDB to a machine that has a full version of Access and use it as usual. That is how I always understood the runtime to operate. Anyone care to give a second opinion?

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 10:34 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

The Access Runtime version is a stripped down edition of the regular program which ensures that MDB or ACCDB files can be run on machines which do not have a full copy of MS Access installed. If users have a full edition of Access then the runtime is not required and the package can only include the MDB/ACCDB file.
HTH
Good luck

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:35 PM
Post#14

niesz -- I thought I just replied to you but I don't see it... I am thinking that if a PC does not have Access installed then it will not know what to do with an Access db. I am under the impression that the runtime is wrapped around a db and only works with that db. And so if it really is like this then I guess you would have to have both dbs as runtime versions...

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 10:37 PM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

>No...the runtime will work with any mdb file that is provided...you only need to install it once on a machine.
HTH
Good luck

niesz
post Jul 21 2007, 10:37 PM
Post#16

Utter A-fishin'-ado

That's correct. But I wanted to double check with regards to, say, if you have ten databases that need to be installed on a single PC that does not have Access ... the runtime only needs to be installed once. The other nine can simply be copied and they will work. The initial runtime program will then be able to operate those, also.
ight?

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:38 PM
Post#17

Oh -- I see now.... There is a page two.... So I babbled twice about the same thing.
This is all getting confusing to me. I will try my test now and let you know what I find out.
Thanks,
JimFox

freakazeud
post Jul 21 2007, 10:39 PM
Post#18

UtterAccess VIP

>Yes...exactly. The Runtime has nothing to do with the application it is being packaged with. It is only a way for the developer to ensure that the database will run on the system if no full version is available.

niesz
post Jul 21 2007, 10:40 PM
Post#19

Utter A-fishin'-ado

That's what I thought (but wasn't 100% sure). But it seemed the OP thought differently. Glad we got that cleared up ... wink.gif

JimFox
post Jul 21 2007, 10:42 PM
Post#20

freakazeud -- I am thinking I misunderstood your advice then...
in the additional files section of the packaging wizard include the setup.exe of the second package you created for the backend file which only holds the backend itself. "
Are you telling me to create a runtime (setup.exe) for the backend, and then include it as an additional file? I don't believe I am following. I am slow. I appreciate you patience.
JimFox

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 05:48 AM