UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Next level of Programming    

Resacats
post Jan 3 2008, 05:51 PM
Post#1

Hello all,
I have been using access as a development tool for certain projects, but have come to the point where I and my company may need something a bit bigger and better. Access works great, but I have many remote users that can not access our shared drives as smoothly as we can in our office. So my thoughts were to moving to a .net front end and SQL/Access back end. I am not very familiar with all that but my company has put me on a mission, and I am an eager novice programmer.
Are there any suggestions on what my next steps may be. I am not completely sold on the .net/visual studio idea yet, so any and all help would be fantastic.
Please post if you need further information.
Thanks,
Go to the top of the page

niesz
post Jan 3 2008, 05:54 PM
Post#2

Utter A-fishin'-ado

You have a couple of options, ...

You can use a form of terminal services (Like MS Terminal Server or Citrix, etc)

or, you can create a true web front end for your DBs. (With ASP.NET, php, etc)

What turns you off of VS?

HiTechCoach
post Jan 4 2008, 01:55 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

If this is the real issue, then this should probably be address first. Depending on your how you remote users are accessing your network may be the actual issue. It could be a networking issue that even converting to a .net front end and SQL/Access back end may not solve.
ssuming that you have a good network (hardware/configuration) setup:
Oagree with Walter that using MS Terminal Services or Citrix may be the answer to your remote access issue. I find it is normally a lot most cost effect to implement and can be implement very quickly (in a day or less once you have a terminal server set up) compared to the many months or probably a year or two to convert to a .net front end and SQL server back end.

mishej
post Jan 4 2008, 02:12 AM
Post#4

Retired Moderator

Here is some info on using a terminal server/remote desktop approach and keeping Access:
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/terminalserver.htm

LakeGator
post Jan 5 2008, 10:03 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

The advice above to address the network access issues is on target, of course. Using terminal services seems a very reasonable approach.
You don’t say how deeply into development you are in Access. If you have done any VBA coding then moving to VB.NET is a fairly easy upgrade. You indicated that you are not sold on .net but didn’t give an indication of why or how much investigation you have done on it.
I suggest that you take a look at how it can be used to create an ASP.NET front end to your current Access based data as niesz suggests above. You can do this in parallel as a trail and learning experience with using terminal services or other network ‘shifting’ approach.
You can get the tools and software for free and there is some great tutorial and sample code available. Visual Web Developer Express Edition (VWD) is a very good tool for creating web pages for ASP.NET. the main product for web development. You can connect to the current Access MDB files and create a front end web site to access them.
There is a huge amount of information about getting started in this area and I suggest the following web sites for getting up to speed:
Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Visual Web Developer
ASP.NET QuickStart Tutorials
How Do I …? Videos for ASP.NET
ASP.NET Starter Kits
Have fun!

student1
post Mar 11 2010, 05:06 AM
Post#6

Thanks for the suggestions friends.
The database takes data from delimited text files.
These files are updated weekly.
So the idea is to program a macro to run a weekly import operation.
The database should collate the data received (through filters), and save the changes.
This is a condensed version of the story.

I think the LakeGator's suggestion it's more suited to my project.
Although I am not an expert in Visual web, I guess it is all about to begin.
Will be a long way, I will back, when I find a dead end. iconfused.gif
cheers
Note: I believe I have the wrong forum.
My apolo

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 02:56 PM