UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Out of Memory - Access Unstable?    

revans611
post Aug 1 2008, 07:43 AM
Post#1

I am having a problem with memory when opening a particular form after making modifications in design view. It was working okay until I deleted any one of several text boxes that are bound to table columns. I did a workaround by making the boxes invisible. Then I was resizing sub forms that I have on tab control pages, and I got the out of memory message again when I tried to open the form. While resizing the sub forms, I noticed that the rendering of the form suddenly did not look right. A sub form that I was not working on, suddenly became transparent for about 80% of the form. That is, only the top 20% of the sub form was visible in design view. The main form has sub forms and nested sub forms that can be opened independently without problems. There are no images associated with the main form or its sub forms. I regularly do compact and repairs and backups. My OS is XP version 2002 with service pack 2. My computer has 1.2 GB of RAM.
My only conclusion at this point is that the 2000 version of Access might be unstable. However, I cannot easily go to a different version of Access because my customer also uses version 2000.
Go to the top of the page

datAdrenaline
post Aug 1 2008, 08:42 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

A2000 is more unstable than A2003 ... but what your seeing is probably due to partial corruption ... have you performed a Compact & Repair operation? ...
would also suggest you DECOMPILE your application ... you do that with a cmd line argument syntax similar to this:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" /excl /decompile "C:\Path\FileName.mdb"
Upon opening the db with the /decompile switch, go into the VBA editor, the compile the code.
----
Other ways to "clean" your application is with the undocuments but well known methods of SaveAsText and LoadFromText ... check out a couple of the usages of those methods ...
CleanForms()
CleanApplication()
The post found here also utilizes the SaveAsText/LoadFromText methods to do basically the same thing as CleanApplication()
Hope all this helps!

revans611
post Aug 1 2008, 11:01 AM
Post#3

Thank you for responding. I perform a Compact and Repair very often. So you are saying that, "Yes. Access 200 is unstable, and here are some suggestions that may help you." That makes me wish that I had done this project with VB.NET so that I would not have to worry about Access getting corrupted on my client's computer sometime after this project is completed.

JeffK
post Aug 1 2008, 11:07 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Have you applied service release 1 (SR1) for Office 2000? Access 2000 was very unstable before that, and I regularly got the problem you're describing. After I applied that, I never saw an out of memory error again.

datAdrenaline
post Aug 1 2008, 12:42 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

>> So you are saying that, "Yes. Access 200 is unstable, and here are some suggestions that may help you." <<
o ... "Unstable" is a word that needs a comparitor ... if I told you a ladder was unstable, what does that mean to you? ... its probably different than what it means to me. So ... my comparitor was A2003 and I was merely stating that my experience has been that A2003 is more stable than A2000.
Also, ANY TIME signs of "partial corruption" or "irregular behavior" occur, no matter which version ... I typically apply the steps I had mentioned in an attempt to "clean" the corruption and resume normal operation.
JeffK has rightly indicated to apply the latest Service Release ... installation of it will probably do wonders for you!
It may be important to note that many things can cause an out of memory error. For example, I tried to use an ActiveX control provided by a machine vendor who claimed it could be used in Access, I used it ... but it had a memory leak, thus the "Out of Memory" error ... my IS department blamed Access for the issue and subsequentely tried to write a VB app in my Access apps place.... IS spent much time and money only to use the same ActiveX control and thus the error appeared for them as well ... My Access app was "re-instated" and I just don't use that control.
In addition, the out of memory error COULD also be due to the Operating System and incompatibilities between A2000 and your OS. I used A97 for several years on Win98 without issues, I ugraded to WinXP and started to get Out of Mem error ... so ... I applied the SR2 to my A97, no problems since. Even though the OS incompitbility was handled through and Access update, I would suggest that you also ensure your OS has the lates patches and such on it too.
Also, don't forget to update to the latest JET Service Pack as well!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 06:05 AM