UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Image Degradation In Print Preview And Pdf, Access 2016    

BrigitG
post Apr 9 2020, 06:34 AM
Post#1

Good afternoon

I have been asked to update a number of reports for a client adding their logo.

My document source was their word template where I saved the image (44kb only).

I have inserted this image into my report and it looks fine in Design View but when I come to print preview and also publish as a PDF, the resolution is not acceptable.

I have tried all the different file types, png, jpg, bitmap, tiff and they all end up the same.

Any ideas please on how I can rectify this. The client is on the hunt for a file larger than 44kb as a starting point!

Also, when I insert an image, and don't draw the area for it, how can I stop it going to 52cm rather than the page width?

Hope you're keeping safe and sane out there.

With thanks

Go to the top of the page

BruceM
post Apr 9 2020, 07:10 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I don't know for sure what to suggest about the image quality, but I believe the print driver affects the appearance on screen. What happens if you use a different default printer?

A good strategy with a repeating image such as a company logo is to create a subreport for just that image (or maybe several in different sizes or whatever). It's simple to add it to a report, it keeps the image within bounds, and if the logo changes you only need to modify a few subreports.

BrigitG
post Apr 9 2020, 09:12 AM
Post#3

Thank you for such a prompt reply, much appreciated. The idea of sub reports for the header and footer saved me so much time and as you say if the logo is updated, only two reports to change!

Changing the printer to a PDF printer rather than selecting to print to a PDF file gives a better result, so thanks for that tip.

Have a good Easter.

BruceM
post Apr 9 2020, 09:40 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Best Easter wishes to you also, and best of luck in these strange times.

pere_de_chipstic...
post Apr 10 2020, 04:51 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

PMFJI

Images can use up a lot of memory and can bloat a db especially if used on multiple forms/reports.

The technique I use is to save the image file in the same directory as the BE and load it into the image control in the form or report's on open event. This way you only ever need to replace the logo image file once if the logo changes however many times the logo is used in your dB and you don't have to change the design and redistribute the FE to all your users.

hth

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

BruceM
post Apr 10 2020, 08:40 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

I prefer to link images when possible, but sometimes access to the local network, whether an on-site server or an off-site partition somewhere, is slowed by measures to safeguard the network when accessed remotely. In that situation a single subreport, or a small number of them, may be a good compromise, especially considering that logos tend not to be changed very often. Maybe SQL Server has image storage capabilities, but I have not investigated that. Trying to convert to SQL Server is keeping me busy enough for now smile.gif

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th May 2020 - 01:59 AM