UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Setting Different Passwords Among Multiple Databases Linked To The Same Back End, Access 2016    

Povolish
post Jan 10 2019, 05:46 PM
Post#1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add simple security to my database, however I want to know if my simple method will work.
My database is composed of 2 separate databases linked to the same back end. I have my official front end database that is ACCDE and password protected already.
Then I have my database for editing, which has a little more functionality for compliance purposes. This database is where everything is edited, and is then uploaded ACCDE onto the front
end whenever I make changes. This database has a different password than the other.

I want to password-protect my back end data, however I get an "invalid password" notification, even if the password matches my ACCDB database for editing. I would like this to be possible,
as I need my back end locked down, along with both my front end database and my database for editing.

On top of all of the above, I would like to remove the ability to delete records from my linked tables in my database in my database for editing. I am not sure if this is necessary, however I have an audit trail table
and I don't want that to ever be touched.

Thank you all very much, I feel that this is an issue that can be easily solved, however I am somehow making it difficult or am missing something small.

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jan 10 2019, 05:58 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

If you have a front end database linked to a non-password protected back end and then you apply a password to the back end later on, then you'll have to delete all the linked tables from the front end and then link all the tables from the back end again using the new password.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Povolish
post Jan 11 2019, 10:03 AM
Post#3

I knew it was something simple haha, turns out I completely disregarded the option to link data when importing from another db.

Now, I would like take away the ability to delete records from a table; however, I am not sure if that is necessary anymore since the back end and the editing DB is now properly password-protected.

theDBguy
post Jan 11 2019, 11:12 AM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Okay. Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Povolish
post Jan 11 2019, 11:27 AM
Post#5

Yeah, I just ended up hiding the tables and that should be good enough. Thanks!

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th January 2019 - 03:44 AM