UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If Ms Access Was No Longer Available To You...    

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2014, 05:53 PM
Post#1

... which other tool would you use for developing applications?
Go to the top of the page

orange999
post Nov 26 2014, 06:33 PM
Post#2

There is a lot of hype currently for
a)Alpha Anywhere,
b)Instant Developer

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2014, 07:30 PM
Post#3

Have you tinkered with Alpha?.. I would also like to know which other desktop and web RAD tools anyone responding to this post has evaluated or developed applications with. Thanks!

orange999
post Nov 26 2014, 07:42 PM
Post#4

I have not. A colleague on a different group, who has written books on SQL and MySQL, and has worked with Access and SQL Server for years, has moved/is moving to Alpha Anywhere and is impressed.
Here's is a recent quote "...........Alpha IS a web-based development solution. You can
develop responsive apps for smart-phones, tablets and browsers, with
virtually any back end you want, running on a web server. My projects use
either SQL Server or increasingly, MySQL....."

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2014, 07:59 PM
Post#5

Thanks, I was reading about it's ability to seemlessly work in offline mode and provide data sync options when re-establishing connection to the cloud or remote db server. Powerful!

HiTechCoach
post Nov 30 2014, 10:20 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Curious, do you develop commercial apps for wide multiple customer distribution or custom/in-house (one off) solutions?

FrankRuperto
post Dec 1 2014, 12:03 AM
Post#7

@Boyd, Both!

@Orange, Joe Alsop is one of the board members of AlphaSoftware. I've personally known Joe since the mid 1980's at Data Language Corp. (Progress DBMS). Although Alpha's website says Anywhere supports offline mode, that product was developed in JavaScript and seems more oriented towards online apps. I guess I should have been more specific in my discussions title. I would like to know "If MS Access desktop version was no longer available, which other desktop application development product would you use?

@Everyone, let's separate OnLine fr4om Desktop.

1. If Access Web Apps did not exist, what would you use for developing web-based applications?
2. If Classic Access desktop did not exist, what would you use for developing desktop-based applications?

CyberCow
post Dec 1 2014, 06:05 AM
Post#8

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

I stasrted to play with Alpha when it dfirst came out. I dropped it because because ALL of the features available for it are spread out across multiple modules that the user\developer must purchase before using. But if Access were to sudenly fall off the face of the earth, I'd probably still go with Alpha.

dmhzx
post Dec 1 2014, 06:22 AM
Post#9

The way MS seems to be heading with Access, and its (MS') favourite word 'deprecated', that day may come sooner than you think.

Especially with the current headlong dash to get your critical data stored goodness know where, and looked after by goodness knows who (AKA "The Cloud") ,
and the rapidly taking over "If it ain't in a browser it's rubbish" brigade, with their friends "If it's Access it's Mickey Mouse" brigade.

Not forgetting Office 365 "If you're not on line you can't work" - (I stand to be corrected on that if anyone knows differently)

It may be an idea to start thinking very seriously about the question.

AlanAnderson
post Dec 1 2014, 08:31 AM
Post#10

Hi All,
FWIW, I spent some time investigating Alpha5 and was very impressed. However.....
1. The cost
2. The fact that one had to purchase the manuals
3. (Most important factor for me) little if any support out there. - no UA type sites worth talking about.

Having said all that, if I had been primarily interested in web development I may possibly have persisted.

In summary, as a desktop RAD tool it is excellent but not that much better than Access to make up for the cost and support implications.

Regards

Alan

FrankRuperto
post Dec 1 2014, 09:32 AM
Post#11

Thanks. So far, I've only heard Alpha Anywhere mentioned in abundance. . How about any of the other RAD tools like Genero, APEX, VFP, etc.?

orange999
post Dec 1 2014, 12:20 PM
Post#12

As I mentioned in post #2, I'm seeing some interest in Instant Developer. I haven't used or tried it, but it is out there.

Re Alpha, you mention Joe Alsop, my contact's interest was enhanced because of Dan Bricklin's involvement. Seems there are some "pioneers" who have gotten together on this revised/developing product.
Costs and separate modules are always an issue.

DanielPineault
post Dec 1 2014, 12:35 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

With regards to Alpha 5, I was just contacted by a client who wishes to get rid of Alpha 5 and would like me to recreate the database in Access. They are not happy with it and state it is impossible to find competent help! By using it, since it is not widely used, you are in fact locking your clients in. Some people love this as it guarantees work, but I do not like backing clients into corners!

doctor9
post Dec 1 2014, 04:48 PM
Post#14

Remembered

I was converted from a temporary worker into a permanent employee when I successfully converted a bunch of Alpha 5 database forms that a former employee had created into more usable Access forms/reports that I now maintain fulltime.

So, in a way, Alpha 5 is responsible for me having my job, but not in the way they'd like. smile.gif

Dennis

FrankRuperto
post Dec 1 2014, 05:27 PM
Post#15

FileMaker seems to be the only other RAD tool being widely used.

AlanAnderson
post Dec 2 2014, 01:26 AM
Post#16

Frank was asking about other RAD tools...
I'm sure this response will result in a torrent of abuse. grin.gif
A friend of mine swears by Magic saying that as a RAD it is by far the quickest and most effective he has used.

Having said that, I personally have not bothered to take the time to even look at it as it had the nasty requirement for dongles.

Regards

Alan

FrankRuperto
post Feb 10 2018, 11:38 AM
Post#17

Over 3 years have gone by since we last touched this topic.
How do you now feel about the direction Access has taken since version 2013?
Do we have a clear roadmap for Access and Office?
Have you tinkered with any other RAD products?

Ever since Microsoft announced Access Web Apps will disappear on March 31, 2018, I have been evaluating Zoho Creator and I am impressed!
I have also been tinkering with integration and process automation products, like Zapier, Process Stret and Airtable.

FrankRuperto
post Oct 28 2018, 08:03 PM
Post#18

Getting nearer to 4 years since we last touched this topic.
How do you now feel about the direction Access has taken since Microsoft changed from MSI versions to C2R Office ProPlus versions circa year 2013??
Do we now have a clearer roadmap for Access and Office?
I heard that the MS Access Team Manager, Michal Bar, announced a roadmap for Access when Office 2019 gets RTM'd.
Have you tinkered with any other RAD products?

"Ever since Microsoft announced Access Web Apps will disappear on March 31, 2018."
Where have you migrated your AWA applications to?
Has anyone been using Zoho Creator?

--------------------
Currently supporting many pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

WildBird
post Oct 28 2018, 08:38 PM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

For many it isnt what would you use, its what the organisation you are working for uses.

Where I am now, they wont allow Access. I have a SQL Server backend that was created for me by others in my team, and use Excel in place of Access. I basically have to MacGyver everything to work in Excel, tables, my own VBA function writer, splash screen etc. I get to edit SSIS packages in Notepad, as I cant get SSIS either, but can create the DTSX files.

Any other development tool would have be given to me by any future organisation basically, along with training etc, I pretty much dont develop anything in my own spare time :-)

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

FrankRuperto
post Oct 29 2018, 08:52 AM
Post#20

For many it isnt what would you use, its what the organisation you are working for uses. Where I am now, they wont allow Access..., and use Excel in place of Access.

It's ironic how organizations that control what can and can not be used allow Excel, but not Access, which is so much better for many reasons. I know of several Fortune 500 companies whose upper management has put pressure on their IT departments to convert most Excel applications to Access. If you have time, please read the white paper in the link below. I would be interested in your feedback. Thanks!

This post has been edited by ghubbell: Oct 30 2018, 02:15 AM
Reason for edit: NO EXTERNAL LINKS PERMITTED. THANK YOU.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  UsingAccessSecurely.pdf ( 434.9K )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
Currently supporting many pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd August 2019 - 01:56 AM