UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Relationship Window Behaviour 2010 And Newer, Access 2010    

Pavl
post Jun 17 2019, 03:09 PM
Post#1

Hello to the forum.
Just wondering if any of you using a more modern version than 2010 have the well known problem with the relationship window hiding tables so making them inaccessible ?
I have asked about this before but could not get a better way than wiping and starting again ... but am hoping that a newer version might have addressed this issue ?
Very happy with 2010 but used to very much like that relationship window so would upgrade just to get that stable/reliable.
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Jun 17 2019, 03:29 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I experienced various issue even with 2013. So I don't think anything has improved on that front. I while back I started using Lebans SaveRelationshipView. It works great and has saved my butt a few times when Access decided to misbehave!

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Pavl
post Jun 17 2019, 04:07 PM
Post#3

Thank you "DanielPineault".
You were kind enough to reply to my previous post about this in October 2017 .......
Looks like the upgrade wont help.
I failed to get the Lebans thing to work and pointed out that I was spending more time on that than just wiping and rebuilding from a printed copy .....shame ... but such is life.

DanielPineault
post Jun 17 2019, 07:38 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

If ever you want to work on it again, just let me know. Post a sample db (removing any sensitive info) and I'll be more than happy to assist you in getting it functional.

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Pavl
post Jun 18 2019, 01:43 AM
Post#5

That is very helpful .... but I would be a bit ashamed of my 'rough and ready' accdb.
It is still in development for the display of historical information and is a mess.
(Does work though - not sure how).
Thank you ... and will rebuild layout for the time being and get back if I get really stuck.
Paul

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 06:59 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Pavl,

Don't worry about that. If you'd seen some of my first databases ... we all started somewhere and none of us are here to judge. The offer stands. And all I want is to help you get around this relationship bug, and the Lebans tool is the solution to that. I don't even need any of your forms, reports, ... just the basic tables and then can be blanked (don't even need the data).

--------------------

Pavl
post Jun 18 2019, 12:43 PM
Post#7

I have copied out and removed everything except the tables ....
... still over 11Mb so cannot upload (2Mb limit).
Dont know how to get round that one .....
107 tables ... and compact repaired ...
Thank you anyway.
Paul
(edit to mention compact repair)
This post has been edited by Pavl: Jun 18 2019, 12:44 PM

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 01:28 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

You'd need to use Google docs, Microsoft OneDrive, DropBox, ... and then post the link here.

--------------------

Pavl
post Jun 18 2019, 03:35 PM
Post#9

Thank you ..... and here is that link from Google Drive.
As far as I know this should allow download.

Pavl_DbWithRelationshipWindowIssues

Tables only, and just realised I forgot to remove the auto start form option so will throw error .....
Many thanks
Paul

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 04:12 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

The attached has both of Lebans tools incorporated within it.

Open the Relationship window, then open the frmSelectWindowRelationshipView form. Select a table to be centered upon it. Not sure if it can address your current issue, but still a very nice tool for the future.

Next, Clear your layout. Yes, I know, a PITA! Start rebuilding your relationships. This time though, open the frmRelationshipViewsAdd-Modify form and enter a name in lefthand textbox and then click the command button to save the current relationship view. As work progresses, save it again. Because your relationships are extensive, you can create multiple name relation views (persons, squadrons, ...) center over a specific area and save. Then whenever you need to, should this issue ever occur again, open the Relationship window, open the frmRelationshipViewsAdd-Modify form and simply click on one of your saved layout. The Lebans tools will reposition everything exactly as it was when you last saved it. So be sure to save any change you make down the road.

Another option would be to save the current, messed up, layout. Then edit the x & y values in the tblRelationshipViews, basically negative values are the problem. Set them to 0 and then at least you'll be able to grab them and reposition and resize them.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pavl_DB_relationship_window_issues.zip ( 1.95MB )Number of downloads: 9

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 05:25 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Attached is a new version in which I wrote a small routine to correct for the offset and fix the layout, which I then saved. So it should now all be visible/accessible.

Now fix it up exactly the way you want it, save it using Lebans' tool so you never need worry about this issue ever again!

For anyone else interested, the routine to fixed the off-screen layout issues that I created is as follows
CODE
Sub FixRelationshipsLayout()
'To use this, first open the relationship window and save the messed up layout and name it 'MessedUp'
    Dim db                    As DAO.Database
    Dim sSQL                  As String
    Dim DMinX                 As Long
    Dim DMinX1                As Long
    Dim DMinY                 As Long
    Dim DMinY1                As Long
    Dim OffsetX               As Long
    Dim OffsetY               As Long

DMinX = Nz(DMin("X", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)
    DMinX1 = Nz(DMin("X1", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)
    DMinY = Nz(DMin("Y", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)
    DMinY1 = Nz(DMin("Y1", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)

If DMinX <= DMinX1 Then
        OffsetX = DMinX
    Else
        OffsetX = DMinX1
    End If
    If DMinX <= DMinX1 Then
        OffsetY = DMinY
    Else
        OffsetY = DMinY1
    End If

Set db = CurrentDb

If OffsetX < 0 Then
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [X] = [X]+" & Abs(OffsetX) & " WHERE ID='MessedUp';"
        db.Execute sSQL, dbFailOnError
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [X1] = [X1]+" & Abs(OffsetX) & " WHERE ID='MessedUp';"
    End If
    If OffsetY < 0 Then
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [Y] = [Y]+" & Abs(OffsetY) & " WHERE ID='MessedUp';"
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [Y1] = [Y1]+" & Abs(OffsetY) & " WHERE ID='MessedUp';"
    End If
    sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [ID] = 'FixedLayout' WHERE ID='MessedUp';"

Set db = Nothing
End Sub

Here' an even better layout fixing procedure
CODE
'This is a completely autonomous layout fixing routine that works in conjunction with Lebans frmRelationshipViewsAdd-Modify
'For it to work you must ensure that Sub SaveLayout() is Public, as must be Function RestoreLayout(ctl As Access.ListBox) As Boolean
'Before continuing, I recommend a backup just in case something goes awry.
'Once that is done, simply run this routine and everything  should be accessible in the window once again.
Sub FixRelationshipsLayout2()
    Dim db                    As DAO.Database
    Dim sSQL                  As String
    Dim DMinX                 As Long
    Dim DMinX1                As Long
    Dim DMinY                 As Long
    Dim DMinY1                As Long
    Dim OffsetX               As Long
    Dim OffsetY               As Long
    Dim frm As [Form_frmRelationshipViewsAdd-Modify]

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmRelationshipViewsAdd-Modify"
    Set frm = Forms![frmRelationshipViewsAdd-Modify]
    frm.txtEnterID = "MessedUpLayout"
    frm.SaveLayout

DMinX = Nz(DMin("X", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)
    DMinX1 = Nz(DMin("X1", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)
    DMinY = Nz(DMin("Y", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)
    DMinY1 = Nz(DMin("Y1", "tblRelationshipViews"), 0)

If DMinX <= DMinX1 Then
        OffsetX = DMinX
    Else
        OffsetX = DMinX1
    End If
    If DMinX <= DMinX1 Then
        OffsetY = DMinY
    Else
        OffsetY = DMinY1
    End If

Set db = CurrentDb

If OffsetX < 0 Then
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [X] = [X]+" & Abs(OffsetX) & " WHERE ID='MessedUpLayout';"
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [X1] = [X1]+" & Abs(OffsetX) & " WHERE ID='MessedUpLayout';"
    End If
    If OffsetY < 0 Then
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [Y] = [Y]+" & Abs(OffsetY) & " WHERE ID='MessedUpLayout';"
        sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [Y1] = [Y1]+" & Abs(OffsetY) & " WHERE ID='MessedUpLayout';"
    End If
    sSQL = "UPDATE tblRelationshipViews Set [ID] = 'FixedLayout' WHERE ID='MessedUpLayout';"

frm.listStored.Requery
    frm.listStored = "FixedLayout"
    Call frm.RestoreLayout(frm.listStored)

Set db = Nothing
End Sub

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pavl_DB_relationship_window_issues.zip ( 1.95MB )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

Pavl
post Jun 19 2019, 12:28 AM
Post#12

Well that is a very good start to my day ... and I really appreciate your time and help.

Yes indeed, I had got the Lebans in place but could not get it to function.

Your explanation will get me going with that.

And I will sort out your routines in my head and then get them going too.

Please bear with me for a quick response as this is not my day job .... have to spread my time thinly at the moment.

Will report back when I get some results.

Paul

Pavl
post Jun 19 2019, 12:56 AM
Post#13

Have downloaded and extracted your copy of my DB.
Did I read your comment correctly ? That this version has the layout fixed with all tables visible?

If yes ... then the problem remains as original.

And at the point when I wanted to check between "tabbed" and "overlapping" I got error message thus ...
...."The value of a display form property was invalid and was not saved."...

So perhaps there are multiple issues here ?

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, 2010 Access, plenty of spare ram, 2x drives at 30% free space.
Original version of this DB created on Win 7 Ultimate on a now dead machine ... so cloned to new drive.

No other known issues with any other MS Office 2010 branch.

Did the download/unpack twice and have not messed with any part of it ... yet.

Paul

DanielPineault
post Jun 19 2019, 07:51 AM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Something is up with your db. What I did was create a new blank db and imported everything. I got a weird error related to tbl_aircraft, but it still seems to have imported (please validate though).

Attached File(s)
Attached File  New_Pavl.zip ( 1.77MB )Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

Pavl
post Jun 19 2019, 12:17 PM
Post#15

Bullseye. That new version starts correctly with the relationship window showing all tables at the top.

Thank you very much.

Will now go through your previous advice re Lebans and go from there.

Your help has been very much appreciated.
Paul.

DanielPineault
post Jun 19 2019, 02:00 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

The error was being generated because the startup form does not exist in that copy.

--------------------

Pavl
post Jun 19 2019, 02:13 PM
Post#17

Progress ....
have exported Lebans to a backup copy and followed your idea to save the 'wrong' layout then edit the negative coordinates in [tblRelationshipViews].
Very successful so I think you have provided a complete solution - thank you.
Wont be back here for a while until I have got everything sorted - so over and out.
Paul

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th July 2019 - 05:15 PM