UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Add New Button To Custom Toolbar, Office 2013    

SerranoG
post Jun 6 2019, 03:19 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

Actually, this is for Word 2016, but 2016 and 2019 are not in the VERSION dropdown.

Back in version 2007, I created a custom toolbar and added five buttons. Each button performed an action. Some opened interactive user forms. I have added a new user form and wish to place a 6th button on the custom tool bar. I am at a loss of how to do it. I cannot double-click or right-click the toolbar to edit it. The edit ribbon dialog box does not allow me to add anything to the add-in tool bar (grayed out). It says I must created a custom one. I don't want to create one, I want to update one.

How do I add a button to an already existing custom tool bar?

thanks.gif

--------------------
Greg Serrano
Michigan Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Air Quality Division
Go to the top of the page

June7
post Jun 6 2019, 03:47 PM
Post#2

How did you add the 5 buttons?

Does this help http://www.word-2010.com/customize-the-ribbon-in-word-2010/

This post has been edited by June7: Jun 6 2019, 03:54 PM

--------------------
Attach File Manager is below Advanced editor window, click Go Advanced below Quick Reply window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

SerranoG
post Jun 7 2019, 09:55 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

It's been so long that I did it that I honestly don't remember the exact steps. I did look up a 2007 instruction guide and vaguely remember the steps, but the 2016 version is different. I've poked my nose everywhere and simply cannot find a way to edit an existing custom toolbar.

The link you posted is from Version 2010. It looks similar to 2016, but it doesn't cover editing an existing one, so I'm out of luck. It's the same for all the Google searches I've been doing. None cover 2016 and none cover editing existing ones, just creating new ones. I'll keep looking and maybe I'll get lucky.

My last resort is to create a brand new one from scratch with the six buttons and delete the old one. But that seems so silly that I'd have to do that. Why does Microsoft make things so difficult?

--------------------
Greg Serrano
Air Quality Division

June7
post Jun 7 2019, 03:50 PM
Post#4

Might require doing that edit in 2007 version of Word.

So looks like might have to start from scratch.

--------------------
Attach File Manager is below Advanced editor window, click Go Advanced below Quick Reply window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

SerranoG
post Jun 17 2019, 03:14 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I am really stumped. I cannot figure out a way to add a new button nor add a new group or rename, etc. to the existing custom group. Everything is grayed out: ADD, NEW GROUP, RENAME. I cannot even get rid of them so I can create a new one. If I create a new tab to reintroduce the 6th button, Word will now show 11 buttons because the 5 original ones still show up. I cannot do anything to this custom group that I created a few versions of Word ago.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Word_2016_Ribbon_Dialog_Box.jpg ( 168.05K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Greg Serrano
Air Quality Division

SerranoG
post Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

So after researching Google and asking the Word gurus in my office, the consensus is that we cannot edit/update/delete a custom group (with buttons) inserted into the Add-In tab of the ribbon created by an earlier version of Word. I took a step back and thought, "I don't want to start from scratch. Let's see if I can export the custom components, create a brand-spanking new DOTM and import them back in under a new custom tab and group. That worked… sort of. I now have the custom tab with custom groups with six buttons... BUT...

What it's supposed to do: Button 1 runs Macro 1 which opens User Form 1. Button 2 runs Macro 2 which opens User Form 2. Button 5 runs Macro 5 which opens User Form 3.

What it's doing: Buttons 1, 2, and 5 all run Macro 1 which opens User Form 1.

What the hay? Why are they all opening the first user form? There no right-click and edit which macro to point to in this thing. So I removed Buttons 2 and 5 and re-added them. Everything wants run Macro 1.

I am so close. Word is driving me to drink.

--------------------
Greg Serrano
Air Quality Division

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th June 2019 - 06:47 AM