UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dll [censored] Errors Between Offfice 365 And Office 2016 .accdr, Access 2016    

Shinzan
post Feb 21 2020, 02:52 PM
Post#1

Client Verison: 16.0.12430.20264 Office 365 CTR 32BIT

My Version: 16.0.4266.1001 Office 2016 32 BIT

When I deploy the .accdr basic string functions fail hinting to me there are DLL versioning problems somewhere. What can I do? I've been developing with access for a decade plus and this sort of thing has happened about 4 times in my career and its very frustrating that a major version conflicts with another major version, my installer deploys the RTE and the .accdr, obviously on a click to run 365 client the RTE doesn't install because its not required but I dont understand why this basic basic conflict. As a sanity check I installed the 2013 RTE so i could run it side by side with the click to run 365 (Microsoft Access 2013 - Build:15.0.4569 Run-time) and still same problems frown.gif

Ive been deploying this product for years and this happens from time to time and is quite annoying.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  DLLERROR.png ( 17.24K )Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  DLLERROR.png ( 17.24K )Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Feb 21 2020, 05:47 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Moderator

welcome2UA.gif

This is usually due to a missing references error.

Are you referencing different version of Office object models?

Normally the way to deal with this is to develop in the lowest version of Access that your app will be used in. References generally correct themselves properly when deployed to a newer version.

However, if you develop on a later version and deploy to a lower version then the references get messed up.

Alternatively, using late-binding can negate the problem.

If you are using any unusual references then you must ensure that the relevant programs/dll's are installed/registered on the target machine.

This error can also appear (I think) if your code doesn't compile properly, or uses ambiguous references, eg:
CODE
  Dim rs As Recordset
' instead of:
'  Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
' or
'  Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but fo you have Option Explicit declared at the top of every code module?

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

Shinzan
post Feb 22 2020, 01:57 PM
Post#3

Solved - you guys are right its a missing reference but not to anything with the LEFT function - thats a false error message, but since i was deploying as an accde i couldn't go into the vba editor -- I had forgotten that i was working on a new feature that had another reference to an OCX in there

Thanks!

FrankRuperto
post Feb 22 2020, 02:22 PM
Post#4

its very frustrating that a major version conflicts with another major version

Unfortunately, each edition of Office/Access now has so many varieties. The bitness, CTR/MSI, Builds, etc. One thing we have done to make life easier and avoid "DLL Inferno" is to create a VM for each user on our development machine. Each VM has the same Windows OS, Windows setings, Office version, and directory structure as the user's machine. All customers who are using our app have Windows 7 (x64) and Office 2010 Pro (x86) msi versions. Other customers that have their own Access apps which we service have a myriad mix of OS and Office versions ranging from WinXP/Office 97 to Win10/Office2016. Some are even OpenSuSE-Linux/PostgreSQL, Oracle and Informix db's.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    28th March 2020 - 10:06 AM