UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Form To Help User Reorder Or Add To A Predefined List, Access 2013    

DominicG
post Jul 10 2019, 10:33 AM
Post#1

I'm putting together an Access app that uses a database to prepare a report. One of the things we need is a list of References for the report. I was given a list of (11) references shown below:

PRD - Pressure Relief Device Catalog
Equipment Information
Pump Information
Control Valve Information
Manual Valve Information
Chemical/Fluid Properties
Codes and Standards
Field Notes
Inlet and Outlet Isometric
Correspondences
P&ID / Schematics

So I made a report that pulled all the header info from the database (using a simple query) to fill out the title block on the report page. But the text for the references was static (just a Label) and locked. Of course, right after I finished I was informed that the user will need to be able to choose which references to include because you sometimes don't need them all. Additionally, there may be a time when a user will need to insert a custom reference. One other wrinkle is that the order shown above is the order I have to maintain.

My thought was to place all these reference names in a table (tblReference) and then use a query to display them in Datasheet mode on a form. I could then add a check box next to each one and use that as a way to "deselect" a reference and have it not be included in the final list. But as you can guess, that didn't work.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to accomplish the end goal and was wondering if I could get some guidance about how to proceed. I've attached a sample database with the forms and query I have so far

Attached File(s)
Attached File  test.zip ( 23.89K )Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

ITguaranteed
post Jul 10 2019, 09:58 PM
Post#2

Hi Dominic,
Your Sample DB only included the reference table. Can you please include the other tables that are to be reported on, BUT NO SENSITIVE DATA PLEASE, just sample data.
With that I might be able to help you construct a code & query solution.

Your idea about sticking them all in a table and put that on a form is a good one. what about a list control with multiselect - simple set.

DominicG
post Jul 11 2019, 12:54 PM
Post#3

Other than the header information that contains customer name and such, there really isn't any interaction between this table and the rest of the database.

Could you explain what you mean by "list control with multiselect - simple set"?

ITguaranteed
post Jul 11 2019, 07:29 PM
Post#4

Hi Dominic,

I meant use a List Box control, and in the properties of that under Other Tab, set Multiselect to Simple
This list box allows users to select more than one item.

This list box will be used to construct a query (by code) which will retrieve the records you want.
In order to construct that query I will need the tables from which data is being retrieved.

I hope we are making progress.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th August 2019 - 07:43 PM