UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Acropdf, Again..., Access 2013    

everettmiller
post Jun 18 2019, 09:30 AM
Post#1

Hello forum....

A few years ago I had some questions regarding he use of the AcroPDF activex control in my project. Those questions were all answered and the project was successfully completed with the control working flawlessly. Now, for no apparent reason that I've been able to discern, the control no longer works. No errors, no warnings, just doesn't display the document.

There have been no changes to the OS, no changes to the installed version of Acrobat, no changes to the database. I simply copied the client to a new workstation and mapped it to the backend. It works flawlessly on my computer and doesn't work at all on the new one.

The form that the control is in contains a list box and a control for the AcroPDF control. The listbox contains a list of pdf file names pulled from a folder on the computer. The onclick event of the listbox executes the following code:

Private Sub lstFileName_Click()
Dim strPath As String
strPath = "C:\Users\Public\Documents\IRISDocs\" & Me.lstFileName
Me.AcroPDF2.setShowScrollbars (1)
Me.AcroPDF2.setZoom (125)
Me.AcroPDF2.LoadFile strPath
End Sub

As mentioned above this has worked flawlessly for more than 3 years. Yesterday I added a new computer to the project, copied the client from my computer and the onclick event doesn't respond at all.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

Everett
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 18 2019, 09:38 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Does this control require a VBA Reference?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 09:39 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Did you setup a trusted location for the database front-end on the new pc?
Did you ensure the VBA compiles without errors?
Did you validate the VBA References, that none are marked as MISSING?

If the new PC is running a newer version of Office, is it possible that it installed the 64-bit version (this is the new Microsoft default). You may need to uninstall and reinstall Office 32-bit.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

everettmiller
post Jun 18 2019, 09:54 AM
Post#4

The control does require a reference to the Adobe Acrobat 10.0 Type Library. It has been selected in references and is not marked as missing. Trusted locations have been set up for both the front-end as well as the back-end.
The VBA compiled without error and my computer and the new computer are running the same version of Office as well as the same version of Windows 10. We've been running the 64-bit version of Office for several years and the AcroPDF control has worked without any issue until yesterday.

everettmiller
post Jun 18 2019, 10:13 AM
Post#5

Side Note: I just copied another known working copy of the front end to the new PC. When I attempt to open the form the AcroPDF control is on, Access is now throwing an error: "There is no object in this control." When I click OK on this message Access throws another error: The On Open event does not support the set of events. The On Open event contains the following sub:

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
Dim strFile As String
Dim strList As String
Dim intCount As Long

strFile = Dir("C:\Users\Public\Documents\IRISDocs\*.*")
intCount = 0
While Len(strFile) > 0
strList = strList & strFile & ";"
intCount = intCount + 1
strFile = Dir()
Wend
Me.lstFileName.RowSource = strList
Me.txtCount = intCount
If intCount > 500 Then
Me.lblWarning.Visible = True
End If
Me.DocNum.SetFocus
End Sub

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 10:14 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Any recent updates? I know my PC had a major update pushed 3 days ago by Microsoft that has caused me great pain (lost printer, issues with the taskbar with my VMs, suddenly corrupt PST, ...).

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

DanielPineault
post Jun 18 2019, 10:16 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Which line is it highlighting when you debug?
Debug.Print your various variable to see if they are reporting back the values you'd expect.

--------------------

everettmiller
post Jun 18 2019, 10:29 AM
Post#8

No updates that I know of. If that had happened I'd expect my computer would be behaving the same. Neither error is offering a debug option, just an OK button.

everettmiller
post Jun 20 2019, 11:00 AM
Post#9

Here's the latest update: I've determined that there are two ways to display a pdf in a form: first is to use an active x control such as AcroPDF2 and the second is to use the Access web browser control. In either case, the full path and filename of the pdf must be supplied to the control. So, on my 64-bit Windows 10 PC running 64-bit Office 2013, I created two front-end clients, one using the active x control and the other using the web browser control. On my PC, both front-ends worked perfect. I then copied both of these front ends to the new PC that is also running 64-bit Windows 10 with 64-bit Office 2013. On the new machine neither of the front ends worked. The client using the active x control did not respond at all when the filename was clicked even though the On Click event executed the control with the provided filename. Going into design mode of the form that contains the active x control results in a message "There is no object in this control." This message contains only an OK option, no debug, error number or help option.

On the client with the web browser control selecting the filename did open the document. However, it opened in a separate Acrobat DC window and did not populate the form.

I've been all over the internet looking for solutions but have come up completely dry.

Thanks!

Everett

cheekybuddha
post Jun 20 2019, 11:41 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

So it's likely that the pc's that don't work might not have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed which IIRC is required for the ActiveX component to be installed on the machine.

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

everettmiller
post Jun 20 2019, 12:06 PM
Post#11

Actually, all of the computers have Adobe Acrobat DC installed.

GlenKruger
post Jun 20 2019, 01:43 PM
Post#12

Utterly Crispy UA Forum Administrator

See THIS earlier post. Read the whole thing you might get an idea in the later posts.
What appears to be happening is the DC version wont register the Active X Control.
I am not sure how to help you but the post I sent you to has answers that may help till Adobe makes changes again.

--------------------
Human nature, it is a funny thing and the hardest thing to program to prevent.
Glen Kruger KNKConsulting
MS Access MVP 2013-2018| Wrox Techincal Contributor

everettmiller
post Jun 20 2019, 02:14 PM
Post#13

Hey Glen, thanks for your post and for chiming in!

I've come across this post a couple of times over the last few days and while I thought it was a great discussion it really didn't seem to apply to my issue. I say this because my computer is 64-bit Windows 10 unit and I have Acrobat DC installed. I'm able to run the active x client and display pdf's in my forms all day long. To be honest, I'm beginning to suspect that this has more to do with Active Directory and the Group Policy permissions that our IT dept has implemented than anything else. Still researching it so we'll see..... eventually.....<g>

Everett

DanielPineault
post Jun 20 2019, 05:52 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Throwing out an untested idea, but what about creating a simple HTML page that embeds a PDF and display that in the browser. You can use the listbox click event to update the HTML page and refresh the browser in real-time.

--------------------

ITguaranteed
post Jun 20 2019, 07:05 PM
Post#15

Hi,
You said
"The control does require a reference to the Adobe Acrobat 10.0 Type Library. It has been selected in references and is not marked as missing. "

I just wanted to confirm that you have done this on the client computer as well.

everettmiller
post Jun 25 2019, 09:19 AM
Post#16

Daniel,

Never worked with HTML in Access much less a pdf in an html page in an Access form. Don't really have a clue as to how to go about. However, in out ongoing efforts to solve this issue we've pretty much nailed it down to a possibly corrupted Windows 10 image. When we copied the client to a freshly imaged machine (same Win10,64-bit platform) the database functioned just fine.

Everett

everettmiller
post Jun 25 2019, 09:20 AM
Post#17

Yep, referenced and loaded on all of the client computers.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th July 2019 - 04:12 AM