UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You Attempted To Open A Database That Is Already Opened. Can't Delete Ldb File., Access 2010    

ucdcrush
post Jul 8 2019, 12:35 PM
Post#1

Hi all - this is stumping me, and while I find it in plenty of Google searches, I can't seem to find resolutions for it.

- I am working with a split FE/BE database.
- As far as I know, no one is in or connected to these databases.
- Both the frontend and backend files have LDB associated with them. Neither can be deleted as it says the files are in use.
-- inside the LDB files are the various computer names that have connected to it in recent days/weeks.
- I put the ShowUserRosterMultipleUsers() code, direct from Microsoft, in place in order to show who is connected to the databases.
-- When I have the database open, it shows that only I am connected to it (shows my computer name and "Admin"). Same with FE and BE.
-- We also sometimes connect to the back end using SAS from a server. I turned this connection on, then ran the ShowUserRosterMultipleUsers() code from my PC, and the code correctly displayed that both the server and my computer had connection to the database. So I figure that if it was being connected to by SAS from somewhere else, the ShowUserRosterMultipleUsers() would show it.. and it doesn't.
- When I try a compact/repair, I get the message from the topic title "You attempted to open a database that is already opened by user 'Admin' on machine '<my computer name here>'. Try again when the database is available."
- When I have the database closed (yet LDB files remain and can't be deleted), I have confirmed MS Access process isn't running on my computer. I have rebooted my computer.
- I also tried connecting with a different PC, and the ShowUserRosterMultipleUsers() code showed that only that PC was connected when I ran it. So the problem doesn't seem to be my regular PC.

So something seems to be locking the database, but I have no idea what. Can anyone suggest a next step? pullhair.gif

Thanks.

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 8 2019, 12:39 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi. Unless I missed it, I don't remember seeing where you said these files are stored. Are they both on a network share?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

ucdcrush
post Jul 8 2019, 12:55 PM
Post#3

Hi DbGuy - they are indeed both on a network store.

theDBguy
post Jul 8 2019, 01:02 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

I thought so... Do you have admin rights to the network share? If not, have an admin try to delete them for you.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 8 2019, 06:25 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

We're talking about removing the ldb files that are "left over" when Access mdb(s) close, right?

I've seen cases where this required network admin intervention to delete them, or, in the worst case, bounce the server and then delete them.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th July 2019 - 01:27 PM