UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress Abl    

JAchord
post Mar 17 2020, 05:04 PM
Post#1

Anyone have experience with progress ABL programing? I need to translate some three old code files to VBA but not sure that I am understanding what it is doing.
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Mar 17 2020, 11:55 PM
Post#2

In 1994 I developed an app with Progress 4GL which is essentially the same language as OpenEdge ABL. Send me the .p files and the .db if you also have that.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

JAchord
post Mar 18 2020, 10:15 AM
Post#3

Sent in PM

FrankRuperto
post Mar 18 2020, 02:40 PM
Post#4

Hi JA,

I looked at both .p files and the .i, and didn't find any sorting going on in the 4GL: FOR EACH blocks (equivalent to sequel SELECT statements), the OUTPUT, nor the EXPORT.

Sorting in p4GL/ABL is done with the BY phrase, (e.g. BY field [DESCENDING] ...), and didn't find them anywhere lol, but the data in the p001201 xl sheet you provided appears to be sorted. Maybe the data in Progress was already sorted to begin with when it was imported into Progress,or there's another procedure we don't know about that's sorting it?... This is why I asked for the .db so I could see the entire schema and any other procs.

But no worries, no matter which datasource you're getting data from, you can always sort it once its in Excel or Access, right?
The question is, which field(s) do you sort by?... Looking at the data should provide clues, or talking to the apps gatekeeper, if available.
Correct me if I'm wrong, you're rewrting the Progress app with Access, and Access doesn't store data in any particular order. You sort that data when displaying it, printing reports, etc.

hth, Frank
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 18 2020, 02:51 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

FrankRuperto
post Mar 18 2020, 05:44 PM
Post#5

ADDENDUM: The other option for forcing a retrieval order in a FOR (aka SELECT) block is to include the "USE-INDEX" phrase in a FOR block, e.g.:

CODE
FOR EACH Customer
WHERE Customer.State = "FL",
FIRST Contract OF Customer USE-INDEX ContractDate:
DISPLAY Customer.Name, Contract.Date, Contract.ContractNum.
END.

However, I did not see USE-INDEX phrases in any of the .p files you sent me.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 18 2020, 05:44 PM

--------------------

JAchord
post Mar 23 2020, 11:24 AM
Post#6

Thanks Frank, I can figure it out I guess. From what I read progress does not store the data the same way as access using objects. I guess my biggest issue is that I am not very good with SQL, to begin with. This does not help when trying to read another program's query syntax. Progress is just the BE and Symix was the front end.

The gatekeeper is long gone. This is a program that has been incapsulated on a network and no one understands how to pull programming data from it. Honestly, I don't think anyone has even looked into it before. I started digging around and found the .i and .p files which were actually compiled into .r files. After some hunting around I found the uncompiled copies in a backup folder. I have also figured out how to export the DB tables as text files to import into access.

Now just trying to figure out how the data relates to other records so I can generate the parts list. One thing I do notice is that nothing seems to be related by a primary key. Instead, they chose to pull data based on several fields.

FrankRuperto
post Mar 23 2020, 11:50 AM
Post#7

You're welcome, I didn't see any complicated queries in those .p files you sent me. If I had access to the entire .db then I would be able to look at the schema and tell you if there are relationships, but you can do that locally as well. since you are writing a new BOM? Access app from scratch based on the progress data you are importing, you can define the primary and foreign keys for the table relationships. If you know how many BOM sub-assembly levels you're going to have, then you kno you have to relate the parts table with the sub-assembly tables using cascading one_to_many joins. I dont know the entire scope of your new Access app, but since you already have data, then you can fill in whatever is missing to have a functional app.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 23 2020, 11:54 AM

--------------------

JAchord
post Mar 24 2020, 01:02 PM
Post#8

This would have been much easier if Progress would have used primary keys for each record. Only table with a key is the notes table and it is duplicated with a sequence. I am using primary keys now but am having to figure out how they related to them.

I think I can export the schema and send it to you would this help. It will not have stored data though.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    9th April 2020 - 05:47 PM