UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Effects Of /excl Cmdline Switch, Access 2016    

tohas
post Mar 4 2020, 06:00 AM
Post#1

Hi

I would like to ask
if there any side effects of excl cmdline switch?

I want to prevent that user can start the same accde (tables are bound to oracle instance) multiple times.

I know there are some code to prevent this, but I want to prevent a roll out of a new accde.

Thats why I would give the local admins the hint to start the accde client with /excl switch
The accde is local on win 10 client. Only one user has access on same time.

Thanks
This post has been edited by tohas: Mar 4 2020, 06:03 AM
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Mar 4 2020, 09:20 AM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi. As far as I know, the /excl switch will prevent another user from opening the same file. However, it doesn't prevent them from copying the file and then starting the copy to get to the same Oracle tables. What exactly are you trying to avoid?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

tohas
post Mar 4 2020, 12:51 PM
Post#3

It would be OK if a user runs several copys off the file:

AppCode01.accde
AppCode09.accde

but I wish to prevent that every of this copies for instance AppCode01.accde runs twice on same time.

theDBguy
post Mar 4 2020, 02:10 PM
Post#4

UA Moderator

Hi. The same file can run at the same time from different locations. For example: c:\A\db.accde and c:\B\db.accde. Is that allowed?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

tohas
post Mar 4 2020, 05:35 PM
Post#5

yes this is allowed

isladogs
post Mar 4 2020, 06:29 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

As the DBGuy has already mentioned, the /excl switch prevents the same app being opened more than once simultaneously.
However, if it would be OK for one or more users to run more than one copy of the app at the same time, I have to ask why you are bothering to ask about the /excl switch.

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

tohas
post Mar 5 2020, 03:15 AM
Post#7

Ok, I try to clarify:

I have an AppCode.accde

It should be possible to run this AppCode.accde
from different locations and/or names but only one times

c:\progs\AppCode.accde start one times is OK
copy this to
c:\progs\AppCode2.accde start one times is OK
copy this to
c:\apps\AppCode3.accde start one times is OK

But I want to prevent with /excl
that someone starts twice once of the above accde

that means:

c:\progs\AppCode.accde start multiple times is NOT ok

c:\progs\AppCode2.accde start one times is NOT ok

c:\apps\AppCode3.accde start one times is NOT ok

Is this now clear?

And now comes to the point

In generall:
Are there any side effects if a user starts one times an accde with /excl
?

isladogs
post Mar 5 2020, 05:50 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Not much clearer to me anyway.
I really don't understand why you would keep copying it to a new location.

Just to check:
Is it OK for any copy of the ACCDE to be opened exclusively then closed and re-opened later on?
Or are you saying that it should only ever be used once and never again at any later time?

Is it a split database?

I'm not aware of any unwanted aide effects with using the /excl switch

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

tohas
post Mar 5 2020, 10:31 AM
Post#9

As I wrote in the first topic is it an frontend which points to oracle.

"Is it OK for any copy of the ACCDE to be opened exclusively then closed and re-opened later on?"
yes

Or are you saying that it should only ever be used once and never again at any later time?
no

theDBguy
post Mar 5 2020, 10:49 AM
Post#10

UA Moderator

Hi. I also cannot think of any unwanted side effects of using the /excl switch. However, I think the confusion for us is we normally think of using that switch when you have to do some maintenance or design changes to a production database, usually an Access BE. So, we were curious why you want to use that switch in this case? If the goal is to simply not let the user start the program twice, then you already know the user can start a second one by copying it. So, what do you really expect the /excl switch would give you? Also, what sorts of side effects were you worried about?

--------------------

strive4peace
post Mar 5 2020, 12:03 PM
Post#11

strive4peace

The problem with this logic is that, while it might protect multiple users from opening the base rollout database simultaneously, it won't prevent them from simultaneously opening a copy. For that, you'd need to examine the LACCDB file to see if anyone else in in there and if there is, give them a message, and quit.

Alternately, if you have a list of users, you can create copies of the FE for each when you roll out by adding their name or initials (if unique), to each file name (made just for them). This would be better than having them create copies for themselves. Then you could also do the /excl thing to ensure that another user didn't grab their FE by mistake.

What I do is store user information in database properties (so records can store who added or modified them) when FEs are made (which is automated for the user list from an admin database that creates FEs from a specified database), along with their FE filename including text to designate them specifically. For instance:

Dbname_FE_JS.accdb
might be Joe Smith's copy of the FE, where "Dbname" designates the database, and "FE" means front-end.

As theDBguy noted, adding /excl in this way is not the usual way to use it ... but an interesting use never-the-less!

--------------------
have an awesome day,
crystal

Microsoft MVP
Remote Training and Programming -- let's connect and build your application together! MsAccessGurus.com
~
video: Bar Graphs in Access Query using Unicode

tohas
post Mar 5 2020, 12:27 PM
Post#12

thanks

I will give the admins the order to rollout the accde's with the /excl switch and I will see how it works.
This post has been edited by tohas: Mar 5 2020, 12:28 PM

theDBguy
post Mar 5 2020, 02:12 PM
Post#13

UA Moderator

Hi. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes. Remember, you might run into some side effects we didn't consider because a database application is designed for sharing, so the /excl switch is usually reserved for the developer, not the regular users. Cheers!

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th July 2020 - 06:10 AM