UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2013/16/19 Perpetual License Versions, Any Version    

FrankRuperto
post Oct 27 2019, 02:46 PM
Post#1

I have never ventured past Windows 7 and the Office 2010 Pro SP2 perpetual license for 3 PC's, so I dont know anything about the newer perpetual versions. I do know that when you subscribe to most O365 plans, you can download a desktop version of Office 201X Pro Plus which runs in the CTR (Click_To_Run) virtual container.

So I have the following questions about the newer perpetual versions:

1. Do they install as an MSI or CTR?
2. Do they receive feature and security updates?
3. Are x86 and x64 versions available?
4. Have you experienced any issues when running an app created with A2010?
5. Any other caveats I should know about?

Since Windows 7 and Office 2010 nears end of lifecycle next year, I have to start preparing to upgrade in case things suddendly stop working.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.
Go to the top of the page

isladogs
post Oct 27 2019, 04:20 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Responses in RED
I do know that when you subscribe to most O365 plans, you can download a desktop version of Office 201X Pro Plus which runs in the CTR (Click_To_Run) virtual container.
Can you?

So I have the following questions about the newer perpetual versions:

1. Do they install as an MSI or CTR? I believe MSI
2. Do they receive feature and security updates? No and Yes respectively
3. Are x86 and x64 versions available? Yes
4. Have you experienced any issues when running an app created with A2010? Only if the app contains deprecated features such as pivot tables
5. Any other caveats I should know about? Newer versions of Access are less forgiving of code errors than older versions
If any of your users still run A2010, they could have reference or feature issues if you develop in newer versions

Since Windows 7 and Office 2010 nears end of lifecycle next year, I have to start preparing to upgrade in case things suddendly stop working.
No reason why they should stop working

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

DanielPineault
post Oct 27 2019, 04:53 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Frank,

Don't panic into upgrading. Heck, I have clients still running '97! Access 2010 databases will continue to work for quite some time. Also, Win10, Office 2016+ have been plagued with perpetual problems from never ending bugs (Microsoft has been doing a pityful job of QA in the past 2-3 years)! Heck we currently have a bug that is more than a year old and still no fix. So I wouldn't be in any rush to jump into that type of environment if it were me. For me, I would stay with either 2010 or 2013 without any hesitation.

The whole concept of end of support means very little in reality and your 2010 db should work just fine for any clients running 2016 or later as long as they are coded properly.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

isladogs
post Oct 27 2019, 05:16 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Daniel
I think you meant "Don't panic ...."

--------------------
Website, email

FrankRuperto
post Oct 27 2019, 05:37 PM
Post#5

@isladogs

1. "Can you?"... Are you asking if I can or cant download a desktop version of Office 201X, or do you mean I can only download certain versions like 2016 or 2019?
2. So msi perpetual versions will never receive feature updates, Service Packs, or security patches, but subscription versions will?.. If true, then thats really awful on Microsoft's part, why would anyone want to buy perpetual vers?
3. Has anyone heard if MS plans on deprecating 32-bit versions?
4. Well, my 2010 app is not making any use of pivot tables, calendar gizmos or any other features I know got deprecated in 2013 or later, like memo datatypes. Newer versions are still using VBA7?
5. All my apps were developed with A2010 and no deprecated features in newer versions, so they should cleanly compile and run?

As to Win7 & O2010 end of life, although I disabled Windows Update, I am paranoid that something could go wrong. Nothing surprises me anymore.

---

@Daniel

Do panic? a typo lol... I heard newer versions of Offfice don't work on Windows 7, and that concerns me, I hate Windows 10. It took me a long time to get evertything working stable on Win7/Office2010 and would be traumatic for me and users if things break because I upgraded to newer unstable versions.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Oct 27 2019, 05:41 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

isladogs
post Oct 27 2019, 05:59 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

1. "Can you?"... Are you asking if I can or cant download a desktop version of Office 201X, or do you mean I can only download certain versions like 2016 or 2019?
I was surprised to hear that you could do so...
2. So msi perpetual versions will never receive feature updates, Service Packs, or security patches, but subscription versions will?.. If true, then thats really awful on Microsoft's part, why would anyone want to buy perpetual vers?
That's the whole point. They want to move everyone over to the subscription model
3. Has anyone heard if MS plans on deprecating 32-bit versions?
I think its unlikely, at least for many years. Having said that 64-bit is now the default installation
4. Well, my 2010 app is not making any use of pivot tables, calendar gizmos or any other features I know got deprecated in 2013 or later, like memo datatypes. Newer versions are still using VBA7?
Memo datatype still exists - renamed as long text. Still VBA7
5. All my apps were developed with A2010 and no deprecated features in newer versions, so they should cleanly compile and run?
Theoretically yes. With previous caveats. Bitness issues may need attention of course

As to Win7 & O2010 end of life, although I disabled Windows Update, I am paranoid that something could go wrong. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I heard newer versions of Offfice don't work on Windows 7
Office 2019 may not be officially supported on Windows 7 but AFAIK still works correctly.

--------------------
Website, email

DanielPineault
post Oct 27 2019, 06:21 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Yes, the newer perpetual versions (2019+) require Win10 . MS is pushing everyone as hard as they can towards Win10 by any means possible. You will have to make a choice, jump on that bandwagon, or shift away to other technologies. There are many other alternatives that exist and don't force you to make such choices.

Although Office365 is, today, still compatible with Win 7+, I highly suspect that will not remain true moving forward, so don't be surprised if this isn't going to change to push Win10 on users. What is even more amazing is the fact that Office Perpetual is supposedly snapshots of O365, so explain why it has been set to only run on Win10 when it big brother O365 still runs fine on Win7?! Make your own conclusions... iconfused.gif

and sorry about the typo, fixed it in the original post. crazy.gif

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

jleach
post Oct 28 2019, 04:28 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess Administrator

>> 2. So msi perpetual versions will never receive feature updates, Service Packs, or security patches, but subscription versions will? <<

On this, I'm near-certain you will receive security patches (and service packs were really just a combination of multiple such updates, and tend to have gone away in the newer cyclic update model).

New features, though - nope. At least not big new features, but maybe small stuff might still make it in. I forget exactly: I've heard people at MS describe this update mess many times, but I still can't recall it at will and there's no single good reference for it that I know of, so it'd be digging back through emails to find out...

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

DanielPineault
post Oct 28 2019, 04:38 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

From another post I made yesterday:

Office365 is a subscription version of the exact same software. You continuously pay (monthly or annually) to have access to the software. The main benefit, and drawback because of never ending bugs!, being you get continual updates and features added. Don't pay, and it doesn't work.

Office 2016, 2019, ... is a one time perpetual license purchase of a snapshot of the software at a given point in time. So they freeze the version and distribute it. The drawback here is they are no longer issuing service packs with improvements. You only get security and bug updates, but no new feature updates (even if they are developed during the life cycle of that version). Buy it once and you can use it for as long as you'd like. Also worth noting A2019 perpetual license only works on Win10!

So essentially they are the same software at the core, mainly the updating is the differentiating factor.

--------------------

jleach
post Oct 28 2019, 05:38 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess Administrator

Thanks for the clarification hat_tip.gif

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

isladogs
post Oct 28 2019, 05:44 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

One thing I find utterly confusing is the build numbering system for A2016/2019/365 all of which start with version 16.0.
Unfortunately MS numbering seems to go backwards and forwards making it difficult to identify whether a build is before or after the retail version of A2019.
For example, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupda...ory-office-2019

Whilst I originally thought A2019 retail started at around 16.0.10827.20138, in reality the versioning is much more complicated
Is anyone able to provide a clear answer?

--------------------
Website, email

FrankRuperto
post Oct 28 2019, 05:54 AM
Post#12

@isladogs

According to the version numbers link you posted, I don't see any msi version for Office 2019, so apparently msi's have been deprecated as of 2019.
I also see "Office non-security updates (MSI)" in the navigation index, but that's only for 2016 and 2013 versions... So confusing!

No feature updates to perpetual Office versions is a hard pill to swallow, especially since the perpetual and subscription core versions are the same.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Oct 28 2019, 06:31 AM

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Oct 28 2019, 06:20 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

The whole version number issue was brought the MS attention several times and nothing has ever come of it!

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Oct 28 2019, 06:21 AM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

MSI will be a thing of the past very soon. Even the perpetual will be CTR soon I highly suspect.

--------------------

dmhzx
post Oct 28 2019, 06:24 AM
Post#15

FWIW
I am currently running a standard desktop version of Office 2019.
It ran and activated just like the previous 2010 and 2016 and 2007.
I think both 32 and 64 bits are available, but having has a load of issues with the 64 bit version working properly with 32 bit machines (Both Access and Excel) , I am currently avoiding 64 bit.

FrankRuperto
post Oct 28 2019, 07:58 AM
Post#16

Long story short, me and my users are going to stay on Windows 7 Pro SP1 and Office 2010 Pro SP2 until the wheels fall off. Everything works and is stable without any need for new updates, we disabled the update service. We have all acquired several refurbished Dell Win7 desktops with O2010 installed as standby boxes. Win7 does not run on the newer boxes that run Win10, their CPU's/motherboards only support the Win10 display drivers.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Oct 28 2019, 08:00 AM

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2019 - 12:57 AM