UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Update Queries, How Do They Work?, Access 2016    

airplayne
post Apr 7 2020, 09:09 PM
Post#1

I am just trying to do something simple. I want to add three values together and put them in a third field. Seems simple, right? But for some reason I cannot get this to work. Here is an example of what I using:

CODE
UPDATE tblWellTests SET tblWellTests.TotalFluidRate = [OilRate]+[WaterRate];

There are values in both the OilRate and WaterRate fields, but when I test the query all I am getting is zeroes. They are all number fields.
Go to the top of the page

MadPiet
post Apr 7 2020, 09:56 PM
Post#2

Where are the values coming from?

[OilRate]+[WaterRate]…

Are they coming from the same table, or from a form? If they're coming from a form, you'd need to use

Forms!MyForm![OilRate] + Forms!MyForm![WaterRate]

airplayne
post Apr 7 2020, 09:57 PM
Post#3

They are coming from the same table. Tried specifically calling them by the table name and field name and still came up zeroes. Also tried removing the default value in the table and now I just get blanks.

kfield7
post Apr 7 2020, 10:02 PM
Post#4

Try building with a SELECT query first, to see the results.
Also, why even do this (write the result back to the table)? A SELECT query can always produce the resulting field.

airplayne
post Apr 7 2020, 10:49 PM
Post#5

I had tried building it in a select query first where I just put a function together adding the fields together that I wanted which seemed to work just fine, it was just when I converted to an update query things went south.

However, I was able to go back to my original solution which was to append the information directly into the table from the datasource I was using. Somehow the way the field was setup was causing problems, so I deleted it from the table and added a new field. Everything works fine now.

tina t
post Apr 8 2020, 12:31 AM
Post#6

generally speaking, you shouldn't store calculated values in a table. as kfield said, a calculated field in a query (or form, or report) would provide the sum value at runtime, with none of the disadvantages of storing calculated values as hard data.

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th May 2020 - 10:30 PM