UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cumulative Access Runtime 2016, Access 2016    

kowalski
post Jun 25 2020, 02:12 PM
Post#1

Hi
I would like to deploy the Access 2016 runtime to client PC's but there are some issues when it gets installed especially if older versions of Office exists. But these issues seem to be resolved with some of the runtime patches. But the patches will only install some time later and only if the PC have updates turned on. I'm not sure which of the many patches will resolve my issues, so I just would like to install all of them.
Since there are no service pack, are there a way that I can install all the patches at once, rather than specifying all of them one-by-one?

Regards
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 25 2020, 03:27 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi. Welcome to UtterAccess!

welcome2UA.gif

I thought the latest download for the Runtime should include all the latest updates too. No?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

kowalski
post Jun 26 2020, 04:29 AM
Post#3

Apparently not. That is what we used, but the next day there were still a large number of updates that was installed.

DanielPineault
post Jun 26 2020, 04:58 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

You had freshly downloaded it from the Microsoft website or had an old copy?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2020 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

DaveH
post Jun 28 2020, 08:56 AM
Post#5

It has been my experience that the runtime once released very rarely if ever gets updated to include the latest updates but I used to slipstream these so you can include any updates, however I gave up this practice about the time Windows 10 stabilised as I develop in Windows 7 for both 32 and 63 bit Access and some of the updates for Win 7 caused issues in Win 10.

My apps now install the runtime but when it’s finished I automate the check for updates in both Win 10 and 7 systems before allowing users to open the app for the first time as this may also entail a system re-boot.

kowalski
post Jun 29 2020, 03:01 AM
Post#6

Thanks DaveH. May I ask, how do you auto check for updates?

DaveH
post Jun 29 2020, 05:31 AM
Post#7

Kowalski:

Due to a number of reasons the programme that installs my Access aps had to written in VB.NET, this enables you to check for Office versions, Access versions and other items on users machines before actually starting the process and it’s a standalone executable containing Access 32 and 64 bit, the 64 and 32 bit runtimes as well as the uninstall routines that may be required.

So the code below is VB.NET code not VBA although it’s similar. Originally I had a code snippet that ran accessing the number of pending updates after the runtime had been installed but this took ages (about 5 to 10 minutes) so I decided just to boot into Windows control panel and let the user run the update package so they could view the progress and not wonder what was going on.

Because Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have moved/altered how to access control panel items there are two separate blocks of code or functions that implement this, one for Windows 8 and above and another for Windows 7.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: -
Process.Start("" & SysDrive & "\Windows\explorer.exe", "ms-settings:windowsupdate")
Environment.Exit(0)

Where Process.Start merely opens Windows Update for users to run
SySdrive is the drive where Windows is installed

Windows 7: -
Call Shell("rundll32.exe shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL wuaucpl.cpl", vbNormalFocus)
Environment.Exit(0)

The user is then prompted to run the installation executable again.
Note that if the correct version of Access is already installed or the Runtime is installed on user’s machine then the above code never runs.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th July 2020 - 07:42 PM